Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 445 diodes and PBS help

i found it happens with all cubes
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Mmmmmmm !!!

PBAll....Rotate one of the LD's 90 degree....or use a waveplate to rotate the polarization of one beam....leaving the beam geometry alone....this is when you will be using A Prisms to beam correct AFTER combining...See ZQuad pics. This will combine the beams. No " Secret Olvaltine Decoder Ring " needed for an answer. PL is for sharing !!!

oh...and,

Terrawatt quotes Klaatu " I find it works well enough to get me from one planet to another. " concerning laser optics !!!

CDBEAM and Terrawatt
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

Correct, I have done it both ways but if you offset the cube slightly more power is reflected than having everything perfectly aligned.

Also CDBEAM trying to plan a LEM for sometime in April or May you interested in coming up?

John

Quote Originally Posted by CDBEAM View Post
    Mmmmmmm !!!

PBAll....Rotate one of the LD's 90 degree....or use a waveplate to rotate the polarization of one beam....leaving the beam geometry alone....this is when you will be using A Prisms to beam correct AFTER combining...See ZQuad pics. This will combine the beams. No " Secret Olvaltine Decoder Ring " needed for an answer. PL is for sharing !!!

oh...and,

Terrawatt quotes Klaatu " I find it works well enough to get me from one planet to another. " concerning laser optics !!!

CDBEAM and Terrawatt
    leading in trailing technology

John, First...YES.....A LEM in the MidWest....YES....I was tied up with work and could not go to SELEM...Why do things always happen at the same time ?????
    Anyway...we do need to have something up this way.....I am sure it will be scaled down vs SELEM.....but thats just fine....I would expect and want a MIDLEM to start that way...and perhaps remain that way.....the phrase " The more ya atamate da plumbing, da more ya con staup up da drain" comes to mind...

As with any LEM gathering ...there would be information exchange, shared wonder of coherent light, good music, good food and drink and good memories....So...I am interested !! I think Grand Rapids would be a good central location....and on a major E/W freeway....and stuff for the wives to do if they come along ( Read bribe ). The Meijer Garden Arboritium in Grand Rapids....a huge glass/aluminum structure is very impressive !! A very nice city !!!

As far as the beam combining....I am a fan of right angles.....but...power trumps angles...I am in the assembly stage with the ZQuad....taking forever I know...but....therin lies the fun too !!!...

CDBEAM and Terrawatt
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    i found it happens with all cubes
    Righty ho! so idea one and three up the spout !

What about different colours/temps...... and also maybe "bandwidth" !

Cheers

PS @CDBEAM
    I think you must have missed earlier Andy post:
    " with the diode at either I or -, no matter how i rotate/turn the cube the beam only goes straight through. i cannot get it to go at 90 degrees "

For what it's worth, I struggled with this and all the rotating and tipping without any sig. improvement until I tried a narrow band PBS designed for 448nm from JML Optical. Part number CPO21361 10mm sq. lists for $105. I ordered the huge 25mmsq. version for $145 because I was fed up with aligning by that time. The performance is remarkable. 95% (+) reflectance and transmittance with the cube faces perpendicular to the beams. I have not had cause to order any additional cubes to confirm the consistency of their product, but I suspect the narrow band design centered almost exactly on the 445nm wavelength explains this as the other cubes I have tried I believe were all broadband ( "sure they were designed for 405nm, but they'll work fine for 445nm").

Catalanjo,

No...I did read that....but it made no sense to me. When I rotate the LD 90 degree... I ==> -- the beam changes direction.... My PBS is from Dave at LSP...so...in an earlier post...he notes that he is also not having issues. I only know enough about optics to get me in trouble....but I do know ...what works...and the PBS from LSP works...changing beam vector propagation as a function of LD orientation/polarization. Yikes...sounds offical....hahaha...well...no more o that !!! I dunno ??? Any other PL'r like to ....er...ah combine in ???? Perhaps not all PBS are going to work ??

Terrawatt sez... "As though his ape's brain could contain the mysteries of the Krell".....she really likes to quote old CLASSIC SF movies....and laser cats !!! Thats the life !!!

CDBEAM and Terrawatt

Thank you Mr. Planters....well....you are the " Combiner Diviner " Your work is amazing !!! BEAUTIFUL !!! So....not ALL PBS are good to do the job...I have not measured the loss on the LSP cube...hey...Optics are " Alice in Wonderland " Looks like good efficiency with the LSP cube !! I will measure and report back.
    Last edited by CDBEAM; 08-26-2011 at 20:36. Reason: Planter post

Aha ! .... so it IS bandwidth of the cube.
    Andy do "all cubes" include any narrow band cubes ?

Another thought.... when bunging a quad red setup into a previously installed Argon plus scan-box on long optics bed (in between laser and scan-box) I noticed that the thru-beam went haywire, meaning that the faces of the cube were well off parallel and that I was also losing lots of green/blue reflected despite almost perfect (in cavity brewsters) polarisation.

I changed to dichro to fix it but maybe Pcubes are no good ever in this situation due to blue/green pre-mix of Argon not allowing use of narrow band Pcube. This would be sad if true!

Cheers

PS. @CDBEAM... I know his posts are occasionally somewhat cryptic, but you can't discount Andy as a nutter just cos he is a nutter.... most of us are, here on PL ! LOL
    Last edited by catalanjo; 08-27-2011 at 00:19. Reason: alcohol

Catalanjo,

Yes....I agree that the sheer volume of Andy_cons post are epic and completely demonstrate his great spirit of sharing and teaching. My post volume does pale by comparision....yet....I am frustrated with "cryptic" posts....unless demanded by some NDA. I will get of my " Speakers Corner " now....least I be classified...mmmm....as a " Nutters nutter " hahaha

CDBEAM

Did a quick measurement on the transmittance loss on the LSP PBS cube. With beam propagation at 90 Deg to the cube...I get 8% loss. Price is lower....but I cannot remember by how much...( Dave ?? )...and I did NOT do reflectance loss...but I assume it would be the same.....So...I am happy with it.

CDBEAM