Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Slightly disappointed in Laserwave

Lightbulb

My Kvant has a very nice white at 500 of 445, 300 of both 532 and 640 (I think it got upgraded to a full watt Of 445 when the green got replaced). My DIY Series also looks very nice with 600ish 445, 300 of 532, and 350 of 640. I think the blue is a bit weak all alone compared to the red and green when doing single colors. It is going to be expensive to match 5 watts of 445, but I think you'll be good with 2 or 3 watts instead of 6... Might even be able to stick with only a watt or 2 of green.

If it was me, I'd be looking to trim 4 diodes/1W of 637 off that 6W I mentioned earlier anyway, thats 4x$120 plus mounts etc saved. Not inconsiderable in financial terms, but I bet you'd be hard pushed to notice the difference to the eye (and of course thats 4 less beams you have to try and condense down to a manageable size)

At these sorts of powers we're talking orders of magnitude more power/cash to see a noticeable difference where the odd watt is concerned.

Same as with PA systems, at 10Kw of pwer, you'd barely notice an additional 2Kw (apart from in the pocket!)

Actually an interesting experiment might be to do some 'blind' testing using a beam of known power, then add 5% increments (or not, we do need the placebo...) and see at what point the human eye generally is able to detect the change.

This might then be able to give us a ratio whereby we're able to say 'Unless you increase power by X amount, it is not financially worth the expenditure'.

Of course this may be more noticeable when using mixed colours, I know small variations in 532 can really influence the resultant oranges when mixed with red, which are less obvious when mixing the same 532 with blue.

Perhaps an experiment for a future LEM, when there is a good test group present.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Default Three Blind Mice at Terrawatt Labs !!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scrooge McDuck3.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	25143Yea...I do blind testing all the time....and blind engineering too !!! haha. I 100% agree...at those levels....What's a watt or two ??? Close enough for 4 Jazz !!!

The one thing I do not want is to buy/build....and then find out I was " Scrooge McDuck "...and should have endured more payment pain....but I was too cheap !!! It is a fine line wee walk laddie !!. Thanx !!

CDBEAM
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

I have 800mw of 638nm/500mw 532nm /800mw 445nm and run it as

800/150-200/800 and it gives a nice paper white. PS: in my living room I run it about 1/2 power or it is way to bright to look at.

I was going to try for 5w balance but that would be insane. I was going to double the red and blue. Not happening.

I ran the figures for you tonight.

According to my plot, 7 W 532, 5W 640, 5W 445 gives a similar result to Steve Milani's Balance (note without specific reference this is approximate only but it should be a cool white):

Obviously at this level 532 will be expensive but you'll save a fortune compared to your proposed 9 Watts of 640.

For your reference, if you want to alter the balance, increasing green moves the plot left and upwards. Increasing red moves the plot to the right and slightly upwards if in quantity. Blue moves the plot down and slightly right but given the position of the triangle the plot will tend to run parallel to the edge and thus appear downwards only in most instances.

EDIT: reading back through I saw you came to the same initial conclusion as me Norty, 6w 532, 5w the others (I hadn't seen your post before when I suggested plotting that). That works well but for an ice white I suggest 7W 532 might be better. It will also increase luminosity. Obviously at these levels of cost, I would suggest the OP hire a projector above these powers and then try achieving these balances using software to verify he gets a white he likes and at what power power ratios before purchasing anything.
    Last edited by White-Light; 05-23-2011 at 15:03.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    . .
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

reading back through I saw you came to the same initial conclusion as me Norty
    Not quite

1500 chars
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Not quite
    I see the diff, your conclusion was 6W 637 & 5w others.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post

According to my plot, 7 W 532, 5W 640, 5W 445 gives a similar result to Steve Milani's Balance (note without specific reference this is approximate only but it should be a cool white):

I agree with White-Light: It isn't a "super white"... but It's a quite cool white
    915mw @640nm Kvant
    1023mw @450nm Kvant
    1300mw @532nm LW
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RGY3W 029.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	529.6 KB 
ID:	25194
    my webpage
    http://stevemilani.jimdo.com
    Skype ID: stevemilani957

my RGB analogue projectors:
    3.9 W (640/532/445) 30kpps
    2.6 W (655/532/450) 30kpps
    2.5 W (638/532/450) 30kpps
    0.7 W (test unit)(635/532/473) 18kpps

Thanks for putting the figures up Steve, you've made a comparison possible:

The 7/5/5 plot shows a shift slightly to the left and upwards of yours Steve.

Something that could be altered if desired with a tad more blue.

However @ the OP I'd always advise hiring a projector and playing around with the balance at the this level as mistakes in module choices could be very expensive and these are only predictions.