Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Slightly disappointed in Laserwave

Quote Originally Posted by CDBEAM View Post
    So even at a 1:1:1 RGB ratio....mmmm??? 25 x ...
    Yeah exactly, plus the losses from combining would mean more like 28 to 30 diodes plus all that combining hardware, cooling, electronics...

I'm sure it would still be a lot cheaper than a 5W 637nm Kvant or RGB though!

I sent my 640nm@400mW back to Bridge/LW. Fixed double beam problem at no charge! They remounted the LD's into a new slightly wider case with the same mounting bolt pattern as the smaller case. There is now a very small round opening to allow for exernal X-Y adjustment by the end user. Beam is back to perfect.

After my learning curve with the 445nm ZQuad ( nearing completion)...I am now on to considering building my own multi-diode using 637's. Only problem is that I do not think I can affort to acheive a white balance with 5W of 445nm !!! I have not done the chroma balance math yet. Roughly what... 10W of Red ??? Yikes...50 @200mW each = 10W !!Yea right !!!!This hobby NEVER stops sucking $$$$$... Perhaps the ZQuad will remain a single colour coupled to a DT-40 Wide...dedicated to throwing alot of beam power at the 445 line !!

CDBEAM
    Can you post a picture of this?

One could just keep it 445 heavy for a beam show....and NOT have a balance available at full out....BUT...from a classic SF movie...." That seems like a pretty big waste of space " !!!
    Mind if I ask where you get the notion you need 2x 640/637 to your 445?

In my experience that would be WAAAY leaning towards the red end, certainly not balanced.

I run 1.5x 445 more than 640 and its reasonably balanced, I would imagine 1:1 would be about ideal on colour balance witrh similar beam specs.

edit: I might actually get my Kvant 1W 637 in my projector this weekend, I'll do some colour tests with varying degrees of 445 up to 1.5W and let you know what it looks like, including 1W 637/500mW 445 which is the ratio you seem to be seeking.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

I would have to agree With Norty. My LW 640 is actually doing about 360mW and I am running my 445 at 500mW and running my green at 180~200mW. It seems pretty balanced. I would say it is a cool white. maybe, 5000K color temp.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Default Magic Chroma potion for my Notion

Well...Chroma sez 9W of 640, 6W of 532 and 5W of 445.....See attached graph, so that factors down to about ...1.5 : 1 : 0.83 RGB...??? There is a vast amount of opinion on PL concerning white balance....and I am sure it depends on Beam VS. Graphic...and ambient light level at the venue.....AND one member noted...WTFCares ?????? mmmm?? Well...I guess I care somewhat ?? TOO much information will drive you crazy !!! I was just wonderin if the ZQuad wanted to have a Green and Red friend ??? How big for some kinda balance. I will get a pic of the X/Y adjust hole shortly....it is a better LW design...but these days I would build my own Red Quad !!! and have double the PO for about the same price...plus the fun of the build !!!

Note: Thanx Tocket !!! Chroma is great !

CDBEAM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6@ 532_9@640_5@445.jpg  

CDBEAM as young boy.jpg  

Last edited by CDBEAM; 05-21-2011 at 18:07. Reason: Reduced Factor
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

Yep, Chroma is interesting, but try taking 3W of the red out and see how little the colour balance shifts to the left.

I think what people have found in practise is that you can throw lots of power/money at a situation to make ultimately very little difference. It's still very much in the 'white' area.

5W 445
    5W 532
    6W 637

looks like an interesting and 'near as dammit' compromise.

I think what I've ultimately learned is that Chroma can steer you down an expensive path you don't necessarily need to take.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Default The Real Thing !!

And here I thought Chroma was the ultimate !!! Well...I really have NO desire to throw money away on Po I really do not need !! The supply of 6W @ the 640 line will cost quite enough...thank you !!
    I really appreciate the time members take ( Norty) to post their real life experence on PL. They " Do not have a horse in that race "....and yet post their experience so others do not make mistakes or waste $$$ Thanx !
    When one does a PL search on " White Balance " the plethora of opinions abounds !! As I said...I just wanted to get in the ball park for the ZQuad.
    How does Kvant get 6W @ 640 ??? A 30 LD array ???

CDBEAM
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    I think what people have found in practise is that you can throw lots of power/money at a situation to make ultimately very little difference. It's still very much in the 'white' area.
    5W 445,5W 532,6W 637,looks like an interesting and 'near as dammit' compromise.
    Yeah, I'll take one of those! Specially if it's nice and cheap !
    But only if it looks nice !

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Chroma can steer you down an expensive path you don't necessarily need to take.
    . .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chromashock.png  

- There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Well...Chroma sez 9W of 640, 6W of 532 and 5W of 445.....See attached graph, so that factors down to about ...1.5 : 1 : 0.83 RGB...??? There is a vast amount of opinion on PL concerning white balance....and I am sure it depends on Beam VS. Graphic...and ambient light level at the venue.....AND one member noted...WTFCares ?????? mmmm?? Well...I guess I care somewhat ?? TOO much information will drive you crazy !!! I was just wonderin if the ZQuad wanted to have a Green and Red friend ??? How big for some kinda balance. I will get a pic of the X/Y adjust hole shortly....it is a better LW design...but these days I would build my own Red Quad !!! and have double the PO for about the same price...plus the fun of the build !!!

Note: Thanx Tocket !!! Chroma is great !

CDBEAM
    Don't necessarily adjust for dead centre as it isn't necessarily the best white.

White should be treated as anywhere within the feint white triangle from others real life projector experience and the resulting plots, from the limited number I've seen.

If you like cool white, your balance needs to be further to the left CD beam on the edge of the triangle based on Steve Milani's plot. I believe more green would achieve that aim. Alternatively you may be able to reduce the red power but you'd have to plot to check what effect that would for definite.

Too late for me to plot this as up early in morning but try plotting 5 W 640 6w 532 5w 445.