Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to find inexpensive anamorphic prisms?

Default Where to find inexpensive anamorphic prisms?

Hey,

I hope this isn't out of place in the Help forum. Wasn't sure if this forum was for help relating to the website, or to the subject matter.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a source for inexpensive anamorphic prisms? Or similarly, whether anyone has come across a small prism at SurplusShed that would fit in a small inexpensive labby?

I recognize that most of you aren't in the game to go cheap. I've drooled over gorgeous labby after gorgeous labby on this forum from afar. But I really am looking for inexpensive right now. I know of options like Edmund, but those are out of my price range by several fold.

It's totally cool if you want to tell me that there just AREN'T any inexpensive prism sources But I wanted to ask just in case there was some hidden treasure trove of repurposable small anamorphic prisms hiding in plain sight

Hi rhd.

Not out of place at all. I don't know what you consider expensive, but you can start here: http://shop.stanwaxlaser.co.uk/anamo...pair-311-p.asp

or perhaps Simon (Doc) still has a few from the last group buy.
    This space for rent.

Hey dnar,

Thank you for the tip. $50 USD for a pair is certainly better than the $100 I was seeing elsewhere.

It's not quite as good as $10 from SurplusShed, but I'm getting closer to my price range! I'll go for the stanwaxlaser option in a pinch, but it still would be nice to find something less expensive.

EDIT: Am I correct to assume that neither a 90-45-45, nor an equilateral prism is suitable for use in correcting divergence?
    Last edited by rhd; 05-29-2011 at 22:35.

Remember that the one stanwax sells are coated for 445nm and IIRC you wanted to use them with 635nm.

That's a good point - you're right.

That may not be a great option then.

I think dave has some BBAR coated prisms left over from the GB. PM him. http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/member.php/279-dave

10mw B&W Tek 473nm lasers show up on ebay all the time. They range in price from 25-35 sold as broken to 75-95 working. The head has a set of mounted prisms although they are coated for 808. They work with the 445's but are a little lossy.

Oh, what an interesting idea. With shipping to Canada, this guy is about $65:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Non-Functioning-...#ht_500wt_1156

Am I likely to find anything else of value inside? I suppose the housing itself would be reusable as a labby housing?

EDIT: Thank you everyone who has helped out in this thread. I really appreciate it.

Lightbulb

[QUOTE = from Auction listing]
    This is a DPSS laser. The laser head can be taken apart and the components can be used for other optics/lasers projects. Under the hood the optical layout is as follows:
    • one 1.4 W (unregulated power) 808 nm (typical) c-mount diode laser
    • a short focal length collimating lens apparently ar-coated
    • an anamorphic prism pair, ar-coated at 808 nm
    • a short focal length focusing lens apparently ar-coated
    • one gain crystal (YAG? YVO4?) bonded to a nonlinear crystal (KPD? KD*P?) in what appears to be a semi-monolithic cavity
    • two thermo-electric peltier devices
    [/QUOTE]

Looks like a few goodies to me.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by rhd View Post
    With shipping to Canada, this guy is about $65:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Non-Functioning-...#ht_500wt_1156

Am I likely to find anything else of value inside? I suppose the housing itself would be reusable as a labby housing?
    That's the one I was talking about. Like AllThat quoted, there are plenty of goodies in there, and yes, the housing makes a good lab style (not to mention the two TEC's)

There is a thread here on PL with detail pics inside the head.