Thread: Rolling a Laser Light Display?

Default Rolling a Laser Light Display?

I'd like to mount a laser scanner system on a bicycle, illuminating the street around it. Perhaps lumia, or simple turning diffractives. Has anyone here done something like this before? Not necessarily for Burning Man, but for use amongst other riders in a big group. Could I get a variance for such a system/vehicle?

on a bike? nope. aint gonna happen. i cant see that being very safe anyway. unless you got it mounted up on a pole.
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

Quote Originally Posted by Eidetic View Post
    I'd like to mount a laser scanner system on a bicycle, illuminating the street around it. Perhaps lumia, or simple turning diffractives. Has anyone here done something like this before? Not necessarily for Burning Man, but for use amongst other riders in a big group. Could I get a variance for such a system/vehicle?
    The only thing I have seen before was this: http://www.wired.com/autopia/2009/02/lightlanes-lase/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lightlane_laser.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	25289
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvlasers View Post
    on a bike? nope. aint gonna happen. i cant see that being very safe anyway. unless you got it mounted up on a pole.
    He might be able to do something if it is class 1 or under. Still an ambitious project though.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

^ True.

however i seriously doubt anyone here is using a class I Laser system for displays. And any system with actual >class I *POTENTIAL* outputs but only class I output at the window (like the diffraction grating lasers that split the beams into hundreds of others) requires serious convincing for safe limits and safety systems. i can tell you now, ESPECIALLY with the new sheriff in town over at the CDRH- that this would not even be considered for approval. Variances are being rejected right now with industry standard safety systems that have been in place for >25 years. A laser on a bike around 10,000 other people drinking and doing other party activities aint gonna get any support over there right now.
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

That's what I thought. Just was hoping someone might've seen an art bike done that way.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Was part of a proposed project to build X-Y scanners into show car spoilers. I don't see a problem with this. Nothing else laser gets enforced*, put a motion sensor on it and a sensor so it only runs when the bike is vertical and do it. Or go the other way and do a static display.

*Don't LaserBike (tm) in Arizona, a friend of mine is responding to a fine right now for a very tiny violation.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvlasers View Post
    Variances are being rejected right now with industry standard safety systems that have been in place for >25 years.
    Marc,

Can you elaborate? What are you hearing that is no longer valid regarding previously approved safety measures?

Thanks,
    Greg
    "Information not shared, is information lost forever"

Join ILDA
    Support Photonlexicon

Lightbulb

Hey Chief-

Quote Originally Posted by Eidetic View Post
    I'd like to mount a laser scanner system on a bicycle, illuminating the street around it. Perhaps lumia, or simple turning diffractives. Could I get a variance for such a system/vehicle?
    Yeah, prolly 'ni' on a Variance, they'd get silly-stupid with you over details for what would most likely-be irrelevant safety-features, anyway (ie; if it's *rigidly-fixed* pointing at the ground, with nothing reflective inbetween, etc, then, ???)

But if you simply get something that incorporates the '<5mW-paradigm', ie: a Blisslight 50, etc, as long as it was solidly-fixed, so it could not 'bounce' into others' view / cars, etc, then you don't need to apply for a Variance... Besides, Bob, you are one person whom I would not hesitate to place faith-in to operate safely, anyway...I know You know 'the drill'...

From even one of those 'lissajous-scramblers', 5mW of Green can be quite visible projecting against surfaces, in darker-conditions, since you're not 'expecting to see beams', etc... 5mW of Greenie to fill a club? Bzzt... but 5mW, scanning lissajous on a dirt or concrete road: Meh, not bad...

I base this opin on how surprizingly-good the Blisslights look, (Look, Ma...no Var-required!... ) outdoors, in even rather high-amounts of ambient... Just an observation...

RE:

Quote Originally Posted by Displaser View Post
    Can you elaborate? What are you hearing that is no longer valid regarding previously approved safety measures?
    There is one-particular, *ahem* 'inspector' that up and 'decided' that projectors, for-whom, either the Certification-approvals (not just initial-docs, etc) cannot be located, in the FDA DB (...which is a problem with the DB, *not* necessarily the manuf....) OR products who's OEM is 'out of business', can no-longer be 'approved for use' (!!) - because, quote: "...by definition, an out of biz Manuf. can no-longer insure that the product remains compliant"... (!!!) So, basically, that would be like the Fed Gov saying, ie: 'all Saturns (cars) are no longer 'certified', it is now illegal to buy, sell, or drive them... and if you own one, we won't re-new your DL, for operating that vehicle.

....*Yeah*....

That would (technically) make, like, nearly every club, theme-park, and laser-sho Co. in this Country, operating-illegally (...if their projectors were suddenly no-longer considered 'certified'...think: Mobolazer, Lasermedia, Image Engineering, Laser Fantasy, et al...) ...but, forget 'nightclubs', Think: Disneyland / World, Universal Studios (!).... Stone Mountain Park Laser Show...the Grand Coulee Dam show??? Do they honestly think these entities will 'let' some guy in the FDA, that 'doesn't wanna do his homework', up-end the entire industry??

..As Admin likes to say, "..uh, yeah, about that, N."

But, not to worry, the 'top dogs' of the industry are working to get 'official clarification' on this, now (...since there's been *no* official 'Laser Notice' or other-such...) and, even if it, somehow, 'came to pass', the industry will never allow it to become law. There *will* be a lawsuit, and we *will* prevail....

A certified / safe product does not simply 'become uncertified / unsafe', merely by-virture of the OEM being OOB... even for products that they don't 'contest', in the end, the Op is *always* the 'end of the line', as-to safety / ensuring that a product, is-indeed compliant, and remains-so, via maintenance / inspection / care, etc... Again, ie: It doesn't matter that 'Saturn is OOB', it does not invalidate the S-Series' double five-star safety-rating, etc... And it is *still* - and always will-be - up-to each 'operator' to be responsible / safe / not injure people with it / maintain it in good-order, etc - just like us with a certified-projector.

Will 'keep ya posted', but I say Hmmph... Ain't never gonna fly....

Sorry this took this so 'off-topic'...
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...