Thread: Filling in Missing Portions of Images?

Default Filling in Missing Portions of Images?

Hi I was wanting to know if anyone knows of a program (or an AHK function) that can convert this image:

Into this one:

Obviously when we look at the first picture, our brains can put the image together even though the middle portion is missing. But is there a program or function that can do this for us? The reason why I'm asking is because I have scanned images of documents that are good quality, but portions of the text are missing (like the first image), so I was wanting an easier way of "fixing" these scans rather than manually filling them in. I greatly appreciate any help. Thank you.

That would seem very handy to remove digital watermarks, copyrights, ect. I'm not saying this is your intent but the general community here is very protective of other peoples work.

To answer your question; I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Createn View Post
    Hi I was wanting to know if anyone knows of a program (or an AHK function) that can convert this image:

Into this one:

Obviously when we look at the first picture, our brains can put the image together even though the middle portion is missing. But is there a program or function that can do this for us? The reason why I'm asking is because I have scanned images of documents that are good quality, but portions of the text are missing (like the first image), so I was wanting an easier way of "fixing" these scans rather than manually filling them in. I greatly appreciate any help. Thank you.

For the biggest part i would say no.
    If it's text you are reffering to: try a OCR program.
    Finereader is the best one in my opinion, it might be able to recover the missing parts in between, if you are also reffering to normal images: no this is impossible, a computer has no brain or common sense only if it could recognize objects and also know how they should look like this is possible, but it has not been worth a programmers time for any application like this.

With all respect why not recover these documents by hand?
    secondly, not offensive or anything but why do you ask this on a laser forum?
    These documents.. are they laser related? if yes may I ask you: how are they laser related?

And last but not least: Welcome to PL.

Quote Originally Posted by masterpj View Post
    Finereader is the best one in my opinion, it might be able to recover the missing parts in between, if you are also reffering to normal images: no this is impossible, a computer has no brain or common sense only if it could recognize objects and also know how they should look like this is possible, but it has not been worth a programmers time for any application like this.

With all respect why not recover these documents by hand?
    secondly, not offensive or anything but why do you ask this on a laser forum?
    These documents.. are they laser related? if yes may I ask you: how are they laser related?

And last but not least: Welcome to PL.
    I could recover them by hand but it would take a lot of time and many people to do this. I have thousands of these kinds of documents and more coming in everyday. Also, sorry but I didn't quite know that this forum did not have anything to do with my topic...

I could recover them by hand but it would take a lot of time and many people to do this. I have thousands of these kinds of documents and more coming in everyday. Also, sorry but I didn't quite know that this forum did not have anything to do with my topic...
    it's ok.
    I can't guarantee if it works, but I suggest you give finereader a try.

Post an example of one of your actual documents.

Quote Originally Posted by masterpj View Post
    if you are also reffering to normal images: no this is impossible, a computer has no brain or common sense
    The process exists and is called interpolation. It is used in many different ways, mostly in the digital arts for increasing resolution or for removing artifacts like dust from film. A sophisticated form is used in Mocha Pro to remove objects in between the camera and the background to make a clean plate for compositing visual effects. However these techniques require different angles/frames of the image to remove or improve the image. So if you had multiple scans of the same page and each scan was different then you could probably use some kind of existing software to interpolate the missing image.

Unless a specific interpolation process for single scans of text has been created, this would likely need to be custom programmed using some kind of character aware process.

I agree, if you want convert image to text, ocr is the best choice.