Thread: Attn: Manufacturers - if you're going to SPAM us, why not support us?

Default Attn: Manufacturers - if you're going to SPAM us, why not support us?

Over the past week or so, we've had a lively debate over the products being advertised from foreign manufacturers regarding compliance, etc. Some of these products look like they have potential for, or are US compliant and others....well, these aren't even in the ballpark.

Since multiple vendors and manufacturers (both domestic and foreign), as well as light show producers provide both financial support to this forum and/or technical support to the collective community here, why shouldn't we expect the same from those that want to sell their wares to this forum?

CHALLENGE: To all of the large vendors (if you're making scanners, mass-produced lasers or turn-key projectors, you're large) that frequent PL - If you'd like to have the attention from our community, why not provide something in return?...and I'm not talking about sending Spec $10 a month, you can do better than that. For those that already support the forum - Thanks!

Put up or shut up (my .02)....
    Last edited by Displaser; 06-03-2011 at 13:28.
    "Information not shared, is information lost forever"

Join ILDA
    Support Photonlexicon

^^

+1

I would actually LOVE to see Spec password protect (or something) the buy sell trade section so that people and/or companies that sign up *just* to sell their stuff cant unless they PM spec for the password. I think that would limit the crap we have to wade through to see the good stuff.

And if a LEGITIMATE "quick seller" (someone who just signed up to sell something) has a product of great value than spec could allow the post for a 1 time thing or something.

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

Thumbs up

Very nice suggestion!
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Displaser View Post
    Over the past week or so, we've had a lively debate over the products being advertised from foreign manufacturers regarding compliance, etc. Some of these products look like they have potential for, or are US compliant and others....well, these aren't even in the ballpark.

Since multiple vendors and manufacturers (both domestic and foreign), as well as light show producers provide both financial support to this forum and/or technical support to the collective community here, why shouldn't we expect the same from those that want to sell their wares to this forum?

CHALLENGE: To all of the large vendors (if you're making scanners, mass-produced lasers or turn-key projectors, you're large) that frequent PL - If you'd like to have the attention from our community, why not provide something in return?...and I'm not talking about sending Spec $10 a month, you can do better than that. For those that already support the forum - Thanks!

Put up or shut up (my .02)....
    I would be surprised if they get $10/month of sales out of PL members.

Bridge/Laserwave (via Rob) has had somewhere in the region of £100/month (conservatively) for the last 2.5 years from me alone.

I would think that being a 'key seller' on this forum has its benefits.

Edit: Oh, and then there's the money thats gone to Marc and Pelosh through exposure on the forum, probably in the order of £2500
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Lightbulb

I believe Marc and Bridge have had a blue name for awhile... So does X-Laser.
    Last edited by allthatwhichis; 06-03-2011 at 16:31. Reason: Take my fat sig off the subsequent post...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    I would be surprised if they get $10/month of sales out of PL members.
    Gary,

I call BS on that.

Who else is out there on the internet that caters to the community? LaserFreak?, who else? Looks like there are 4000+ members here, 500+ active at any time....

Wonder how many folks never join, pop in for a guest visit, read some stuff and make decisions on software, hardware, etc.? I'd bet it's in the thousands...

Frankly, I'm amazed that Spec has spent the time, financial investment, effort and hardship to maintain what is beyond any doubt the premier forum for serving the hobbyist community WORLDWIDE, and does not make a handsome living off of it. It only speaks to his person. I understand that not everyone can do so financially, as many help the community in other ways.

For those of us that can help Spec every month by subscribing, you should do so. For those that are making money from this forum and do not support Spec by becoming a subscriber, I'd say that's pathetic...
    "Information not shared, is information lost forever"

Join ILDA
    Support Photonlexicon

For those of us that can help Spec every month by subscribing, you should do so. For those that are making money from this forum and do not support Spec by becoming a subscriber, I'd say that's pathetic...
    How much interest and sales of Spaghetti has come from this forum?

Gary,

I call BS on that.

Who else is out there on the internet that caters to the community? LaserFreak?, who else? Looks like there are 4000+ members here, 500+ active at any time....

Wonder how many folks never join, pop in for a guest visit, read some stuff and make decisions on software, hardware, etc.? I'd bet it's in the thousands...

Frankly, I'm amazed that Spec has spent the time, financial investment, effort and hardship to maintain what is beyond any doubt the premier forum for serving the hobbyist community WORLDWIDE, and does not make a handsome living off of it. It only speaks to his person. I understand that not everyone can do so financially, as many help the community in other ways.

Well, I certainly don't make $10/month from PL users. If those spammers who can hop in only once a year and post an ad can do it then I am selling the wrong stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by taggalucci View Post
    How much interest and sales of Spaghetti has come from this forum?
    Very little. I was inactive (ie banned) from here during the peak of Spaghetti sells. Sells have tapered off quite a bit since the beginning of this year. I probably gave away more copies to PL users than those who have bought it. I'm OK with that. Spaghetti has never been about the money. It's just that at one point I decided to either abandon it or at least get a little beer money from it as motivation to continue working on it.

I'm somewhat surprised that DrLava entered into the ring. He'll make some money but I don't think it will be what he hopes for based on my experience.