Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laptop acting up...

Default Laptop acting up...

Wouldn't you know, 1 day before i want to give a show for a newly formed Hackerspace here in my town, my laptop starts acting up. (Win7 ultimate).
    All services fail to start. Some vague error that all the stuff timed out and that this could be a disk error.

Had some issues with spyware/trojans earlier this year on this year, seemed fixed, but still... So will reinstall, with a format (slow, not quick) to mark any bad sectors.
    I had this laptop for 2 years now, so a reinstall couldn't hurt.

Only all my software needs to be up there again, that's what i hate.
    So need to reinstall Mamba, Easylase drivers, Quickshow, ILD SoS and Lasercam ;-(

I thought had made an image of it (as i always do, after installing a new OS on any device). But seems i didn't ;-(
    So logged into my technet account, downloaded the Image, burned the disc.
    Am now copying all the shows and stuff i had on there to my NAS.

On the bright side: better now then tomorrow at the hackerspace.
    Which is full of linux fanboys, so then it would have been all night how good and stable linux was and how bad Windows (while it well could be my HD....)

Wish me luck.
    I didn't fail !
    I just found out 10,000 ways that didn't work.

Bummer doode
    Hope you get it sorted it time - have a blast!
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Don't worry mate, you're not the only one with Win7 problems. I bought an i5 laptop a few months ago and have been plagued with biblically slow startup times (sometimes takes 20 minutes). I made the mistake of powering it down yesterday after waiting ages only to find it bluescreened 3 times on me after switching back on.
    Seems ok now on startup, and it's still slower than a heard of turtles stampeding through peanut butter but hey, i can live with that

Ad

gashead is offline Admin Verified: Best Accent Ever(Tm)

Quote Originally Posted by hobbybob View Post

On the bright side: better now then tomorrow at the hackerspace.
    Which is full of linux fanboys, so then it would have been all night how good and stable linux was and how bad Windows (while it well could be my HD....)

Wish me luck.
    Dude, ignore that crap.. Linux has it's flaws too..

I've been a Linux sysadmin for near on 12 yrs now, and I've seen it's ups and DOWNS.. for instance today I had a node in our cluster die .. what should have happened is all the other nodes carry on (they did) but the underlying filesystem (GFS) which is attached via iSCSI pretty much locked up until I brought that node back into the cluster.
    I was pleased it all came back because the only other way to fix in that situation is to down the entire cluster and fsck the entire filesystem.. which takes about 8 hours because of the size of it. (Think we are nearing about 40TB)

Anyway.. I used to sing the praises of Linux over windows.. but I grew out of it.. they will too.. one day..

Now, if we were talking Mac OS X! Well... that kicks Windows arse!!

Cheers,

Nige.

Hahahaha.... thanks guys...
    After backing up all stuff, i started Win7 install at 15:50, and now it's already finishing up (28 minutes, total, to desktop).

I choose to repartition the drive as well in a 50G windows partition and a 100GB datadrive
    Normally i always do this, but again, i must have been in a terrible state of of mind when i installed this one since i didn't (hence i had copy off 80GB of stuff (shows, pictures and movies of LEM's, etc). Well that's sorted.

Now, installing all the updates to date ;-)
    Fortunately i have the 100Mbit fiber, still i think they should push all the stuff to me first and then install , reboot if necessary, install , reboot etrc..
    Now it's download, install, reboot, download next....
    I used to have a offline updater, just insert the dvd, choose the OS and go !

** Note to self, create a 32Bit update DVD for Win7 ;-)

Well updates are rolling in.... 73 of them 145MB.... Should only take 15 seconds. But alas, the windows servers aren't that fast hahahaa./..
    I didn't fail !
    I just found out 10,000 ways that didn't work.

Lightbulb

I am an XP man, no problems for years now.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by gashead View Post
    (Think we are nearing about 40TB)
    I think that's about 1/3 the size of Dimmers' mega RAID

Quote Originally Posted by gashead View Post
    Now, if we were talking Mac OS X! Well... that kicks Windows arse!!
    Naa... they're all just as bad as each other!

An OS X kernel panic is spectacularly dull (yet multilingually informative ), however it does make me a little happy when I'm working away and it happens; gives a "silent middle finger" to all those who spout "it just works, it's the best..."
    Everything has it's faults. I run strictly 50/50 Windows/Mac

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    I am an XP man, no problems for years now.
    XP is fantastic
    You will not be able to claw my XP box from me until 08/04/2014...

I think that hard disks are the Achilles heel of all computers, PC, Linux, and Mac. They seem to be one of the first things to die. A year ago I switched over to using a SSD drive for my Windows partition, kept the HD for everything else. The rest of the components are 6 years old with an AMD 4400 X2 CPU. Boot time and performance are still phenomenal a year later.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by RGbee View Post
    it's still slower than a heard of turtles stampeding through peanut butter but hey, i can live with that

I took a laptop to a gig with a particularly sensitive HDD "fall protection" sensor in it. DIDN'T get on well with the 30k sound system one bit.
    Constantly parking the head "to avoid damage"...
    It ran slow as shite...

gashead is offline Admin Verified: Best Accent Ever(Tm)

Quote Originally Posted by danielbriggs View Post
    I

An OS X kernel panic is spectacularly dull (yet multilingually informative ), however it does make me a little happy when I'm working away and it happens; gives a "silent middle finger" to all those who spout "it just works, it's the best..."

One of the coolest Kernel oopses you're ever gonna see, "You need to restart, hold down the power button" How polite!!

I've only seen it a couple of times, it's always been when I plug in my 3G USB dongle.. this has been since I upgraded to Snow Leopard.. which doesn't so much feel like a UG.. more like "We added a few new bits.. and we know you'll pay £40 to find out what"

End of the day, some of it's hardware, some software, some human error.

Since we are having this discussion, the only OS I know of that has not needed a reboot in the last three years (It's a ISP's name server I look after) runs Linux.. machine has been solid even through various dos attacks.

BSD coming in second here, thats pretty Solid too (Hence why OSsex users say sex is so good, since it's a BSD variant)

Pfffft.. Who cares.

I miss the days when having a 120Mb hard disk was impressive!

Chur,
    N.