Thread: Mystery Spectra Physics tube

Default Mystery Spectra Physics tube

So I recently procured a large-ish argon laser tube, a Spectra Physics tube with Model # 022-15, Serial # 1858.
    Anyone know anything more about this tube? Google tells me nothing for this model number.
    It has brewster windows on the ends.
    Vidal Wolf tells me that it might be from a SP 2010 or 2014.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011-06-05_22-37-33_437.jpg  

2011-06-05_22-37-23_355.jpg  

2011-06-05_22-37-40_45.jpg  

Last edited by bwang; 06-05-2011 at 22:56.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by bwang View Post
    So I recently procured a large-ish argon laser tube, a Spectra Physics tube with Model # 022-15, Serial # 1858.
    Anyone know anything more about this tube? Google tells me nothing for this model number.
    It has brewster windows on the ends.
    Vidal Wolf tells me that it might be from a SP 2010 or 2014.

The snow white condition of the ceramic shows it to be brand new. Used tubes almost always have iron stains.

Measure from tip of the Brewster window to the tip of the other Brewster window. By that, I mean measure the overall length. I may have a magnet, mounts, and tube that will fit that unit. It is very short, suggesting a 2010.

You will have problems getting a answer from SP unless you have a system serial number.

The fill pressure is about 2500 times too high to run pulsed.

You also need:
    A. The ~1 Kilogauss magnetic field.
    B. Water cooling.
    C. Optics
    D. Resonantor

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 06-06-2011 at 13:06.

if it has brewsters it is a 2020. a 2010 and a 2011 have mirrors sealed on the ends

dont know what a 2014 is never heard of it.

If all you have is a tube...i wouldnt waste any time on it, life is too short
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

The tube is ~33.5" from tip to tip.
    What are the power requirements and tube current of a SP 2020?

One meter class tubes are sized for a 3 phase 208-220 wall plug. A typical tube voltage would be 240-260 volts DC at 35-40 amps test current. The magnet is another 2-4 amps depending on model and design. The cathode needs between 75 and 110 watts depending on design parameters.

I know what you are thinking, and as Pat said, its not worth messing with.

Whole ion lasers have been selling for 300-1000$ lately, its not worth messing with just a bare tube.

It is NOT advisable to go hunting for a matching or dead SP system because you have a unknown tube. Reasoning:

A. There are very complex system boards in the power supply. The schematics have not been released. It is thus a lottery, and the odds are against you.

B. The head has a PROM in it which matches the tube characteristics to the PSU. Without the right PROM, the system will shut down.

C. The system is physically huge compared to competing systems. The power supply is a two man lift.

D. At one time that was a 10-12 Kilobuck chunk of ceramic. Now it is a paperweight, unless you are a lab with a matching system.

There is a tube reprocessor just to the north of you. Call them up, see if they will trade you a JDSU head for that piece. That is probably the best you can do, with what you have available. As a student, they might even let you have a shop tour.

Steve

I've been contemplating building a system for this tube...'tis not so much the power supply I'm worried about as the head optics and magnet. From what I've heard, aligning large ion lasers is quite a pain in the ass, even with a matching head. It'll be even more impossible with no matching head
    *sigh* I guess I'll just have to set this thing up as a display piece.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    C. The system is physically huge compared to competing systems. The power supply is a two man lift.
    I beg to differ: The I can lift the 2540 on my own, albeit a bit heavy weighing in at about 50-60lbs. (I lifted audio amps which weighed just as much without any problems.) Could do with a pair of handles though, or maybe some 19" rack flanges.

D. At one time that was a 10-12 Kilobuck chunk of ceramic. Now it is a paperweight, unless you are a lab with a matching system.
    That tube is not even half as pretty as a 165 or 168 which were ceramic works of art. So if you really want a nice paperweight or shelf ornament, get one of those ol' gals if you can find them up for air.

The 2540 may be a more practical paperweight than the hefty 265 which shipped with the 165/168 systems. Its more convenient form factor allows you to make more effective use of your desk... it can even serve as a good monitor stand!

Sorry, I'm gonna cut out on the sarcasm now.

Two pics

One on the right is the new generation switched resistor unit for smaller tubes.
    Model 2540

Older generation, what I'm talking about in my previous post, big monster. On the left. Do not lift one without good disability coverage.
    Model 2550

I wish I had taken pics of a 2580 in my old lab. Big monster. We could, in theory, get it up to 60 amps for UV work. I didn't have the best line voltage, so it maxed out at 55. Yes, about 15 Kilowatts to get ~350 mW of single line, single frequency,UV when new.

OK, found one on the bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Spectra-Physics-...06256656534130

If you do not have the remotes, ignitors, connectors, head boards, and cabling, these are boat anchors.

Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2560.jpg  

2550.JPG  

Last edited by mixedgas; 06-07-2011 at 06:52.

Lightbulb

Sir bwang -

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    If you do not have the remotes, ignitors, connectors, head boards, and cabling, these are boat anchors.
    ..or, we could 'talk'?....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04263.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	25438 (..Uh, projector, above head, not-included... ) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04262.JPG 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	25435Click image for larger version. 

Name:	i-6_B_L.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	25437Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SP2K_L.JPG 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	25436

Originally an Argon; tube, re-pumped / resonator re-mirrored for WL.. in its' prime, it would do 6.25W of *gorgeous* white, (..at 55A, mind-you! ) TONS of Red, strong yellow, deep blues / violet ...incredible beam with these German optics.. Only took it 'on the road' ~2x - mostly, was a 'studio / programming' laser, cause the beam-chars / color-bal was so amazing...
    and it also weighed a ton, compared to a Purelight....But Ooohohho, its' beam, schwoo!

In the past 1 year 1/2, started to go low-pressure, and when I went to do a fill, found that either the valves were stuck or, the res. was depleted / not as 'full' as I had been sold / told... But it does still work, zero cath-sag, water was always filtered, ramped-up / down gently etc, etc...and the PSU has all the nice extra bells / whistles...fully-adjustable mag / remote fill, etc... just can't run it full-bore anymore, will only get to about 30A...

Point-being, it is just sitting in our NY shop, taking-up work-space, dying a slow death... Seems to me it might be a good-candidate for a 'tube-transplant' (?) PROMs should still be for an Ar tube, I *highly* doubt the 're-processor' re-prog'd this for WL... Got manuals, SP 2220 air-pump for positive pressure in the brewster-cavs (yes, it has brewsters in both ends...)... and two really nice wood shipping crates, with wheels / HD foam, etc...

Wanna chat? I'd probably consider letting it go (IF it could work for you...) at some number that would probably make me feel like I'd just been disembowled, if I took the time to think about what I *paid* for it, in just 2006... Since it is very-likely 'n/g' as a WL, anymore, I get to keep the German optics, you can have the OEM Ar-set, still in perfect condition... AFAIK, this puppy could do ~8-9W of M-L Argon, full-bore... And Rochester is only, what, ~7-8 hrs from Cambr?

Elders, what sayeth you? Sir bwang, what thinkest thouth?

ciao
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...