Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UK ShowLEM - Equipment Thread

Default UK ShowLEM - Equipment Thread

Hi All

Well, the UK ShowLEM is less than a month away and I guess it's time to start thinking about equipment.

Rather than repeat loads of stuff here i'll just refer everyone to this thread for general information...

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...West-Yorkshire

Don't forget that if you are thinking of attending please let me know and i'll add you to the list in the OP of the thread above.

O.K., so, on to equipment. The whole point of this meeting is to play shows. This means that we'll have a small list of required equipment. Please don't bring any gear unless we've asked for it, just travel light with a USB stick (or similar) in your pocket that contains any shows you want playing

Having said that there are a few 'essentials' we'll require, these are...

RGB laser projectors - We're going to be fairly picky here as we're going to try and achieve a nice balance. If you've got a very well balanced RGB projector in the 2watt range with good beam specs then please put yourself forward. We're aiming for three such projectors (possibly 5 if we're really lucky). Don't be offended if we can't use your projector, as i've said, it's all about achieving the best looking combination for playing the shows.

Trussing - All being well Rob is supplying this.

QM2000.Net systems - I have one and Rob has one, we could possibly do with another two

FB3's - I have one and Rob has one, we could possibly do with another two

DAC's - If you're using a different DAC (and have shows for it) please let me know. We want to be able to give everyone the opportunity to play their shows, to do this we need as wider range of DAC's as possible.

Hazer - Jem to use his Unique 2 (Rob providing backup)

Large Projection Screen for graphics - Jem to bring a 'Fastfold' 8' x 6' screen

Scrim - Richard (Soferene) has a large one

Sound system - Possibly Jim, although there's a chance Jim will only be there on the Sunday. I believe Graham (Skulpture) has a system that he could bring both days?

Wiring etc. - Rob has pretty much everything we'll need

Computer systems - Jem, Rob and possibly Richard (Soferene).

Laser Shows - Please, please, bring your shows - as many as possible! To maintain compatibility please bring your shows on a USB stick/External hard drive/ CDRom/DVDRom or other 'standard' removable media. We intend having a maximum of three computers set up that we will load shows on to in order to play them. This will ensure that we're not constantly swapping wiring around and risking incompatibility problems. We've thought long and hard about this and think that this is the best option all round. If you're using some less well known software for your shows please contact me and i'm sure we'll be able to accomodate your system if necessary.

Finally, bring yourselves, travel light and come and enjoy the shows. This weekend is all about chilling out and not having to cart a load of gear with you.

Rough timetable is as follows...

Saturday: Doors open 2.00pm, loading and setting up till approximately 4:00pm. Shows till 11:00pm.

Food: Saturday 2:00 to 3:00pm sandwiches and snacks will be provided, catering is courtesy of my wife , Saturday evening: there are plenty of takeaways close by and/or a great pub meal can be had 100 yards down the road.

Sunday: Start 10:30ish to 11:00am, it's 'showtime' again till 4:00pm. We have to be out of the hall by 6:00pm. For those who aren't in too much of a hurry to get off on your journey I intend having a BBQ at my house so you can have a decent feed before setting off home. Full details on this will be provided to LEM attendees. If you're up for attending the BBQ can you just let me know so I know how many to cater for.

That's about it folks, if you can think of anything i've missed please let me know. Looking forward to seeing everyone again for a mega photon fix

Cheers

Jem
    Last edited by Jem; 06-08-2011 at 05:19.
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

I have mentioned this already in the other thread but I will only be there for the Sunday.
    I have a gig in Bolton on the Sat night and then plan to drive over to Wakefield after the gig to save going back and forth along the M61. Will have a Kip in the car until there are signs of life with in the hall if anyone is lodging in there over night.

I know my RGB's are well below the 2W you are after but as they will be with me and my FB3, they are at your disposal if needed.

Carl
    2 x Stanwax Laser 3W RGB's
    2 x OPT 10W RGB
    Pangolin FB3QS + Live Pro
    1.3W Laser Harp

Hi Carl

That's brilliant, and thanks for the offer of your kit, we may well be able to use it

Looking forward to seeing you again.

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

i have two fb3 if needed
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Thanks Andy, stick'em in the car just in case. That is if your car can manage the extra weight

@Jem: Mega

What is going to be the planned setup/layout of the lasers/controllers...?

Only 'cos I'm planning to make a beam show, so would be nice to tailor it to make full use of 'X' QM's and 'Y' layout

Ta for organising this BTW

P.S. Is there going to be a scrim?
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Hi Dan

Quote Originally Posted by danielbriggs View Post
    @Jem: Mega

What is going to be the planned setup/layout of the lasers/controllers...?
    Well, we figured a triangular Ali truss supported on two wind up stands (Rob's sorting this). This would have either three or five RGB projectors suspended (depending on what we can muster, these would obviously be facing the audience. Then we figured having one RGB pointing forwards for graphics. We can move my large screen in and out of the way as required.

Only 'cos I'm planning to make a beam show, so would be nice to tailor it to make full use of 'X' QM's and 'Y' layout
    Cool

Ta for organising this BTW
    You're welcome, although I have to say this is entirely a joint effort it's not just me

P.S. Is there going to be a scrim?
    Damn, I knew i'd forgotten something, now added to list. Richard (soferene) has a large scrim and he's offered to bring it along, so that's sorted ... Just need to work out how we're going to fix it up

Cheers

Jem

Default PA

Hi Jem

Not long now, I have a pa system if needed and I intend to be there both days,

Its a Yamaha set up, 1000w max each top end and 1200w max each 18" Fane subs

Its all bi amped, crossover and limiter available if needed.

Also I now have an FB3 if needed but im sure there will be lots of them.

Cheers Tony
    Last edited by tonyaztec; 06-08-2011 at 06:09. Reason: retarded
    Squat that bug,

One day I'll finish my build.
    https://www.facebook.com/Azteclasers?fref=ts

What is a scrim?
    Squat that bug,

One day I'll finish my build.
    https://www.facebook.com/Azteclasers?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Hi Dan
    Well, we figured a triangular Ali truss supported on two wind up stands (Rob's sorting this). This would have either three or five RGB projectors suspended (depending on what we can muster, these would obviously be facing the audience. Then we figured having one RGB pointing forwards for graphics. We can move my large screen in and out of the way as required.
    Excellent...
    I'll get thinking on the show front

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Damn, I knew i'd forgotten something, now added to list. Richard (soferene) has a large scrim and he's offered to bring it along, so that's sorted ... Just need to work out how we're going to fix it up
    Cable ties, spoons and lots of tape

Quote Originally Posted by tonyaztec View Post
    What is a scrim?
    A sheet of material that lets some of the light through, and some is absorbed, showing the scanned image.
    They can be used for a sort of hybrid beamshow + graphics projection at the same time. Think mosquito netting...
    Used them quite a bit outdoors - looks ace.
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -