Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vrilda - Virtual Reality Laser Show Player

Default VRLSS - Virtual Reality Laser Show Simulator

EDIT 2015-08-15: new version 0.5.0

This is a program I've been working on for the last few days, it's called Virtual Reality Laser Show Simulator (VRLSS), formerly Vrilda. Natural 3D, rotational and positional headtracking and multiple scanners supported. Don't own a laser projector, or want to test out a show without firing your projector up? Well this is the next best thing!

Unfortunately you do need an Oculus Rift to fully enjoy this program, but even if you don't own one, you can still view shows in regular 3D mode on a normal monitor as well, it just won't be as fun

You can download the newest version here: https://github.com/Grix/vrlss/releases

Demonstration video (old version, worse graphics than now): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bX3FqQi1Z0

Screenshot:

Program is open source, but it's made in Game Maker: Studio so you'll need that program to make contributions unfortunately. Github page: https://github.com/Grix/vrlss

READ THE HELP.PDF FILE FOR CONTROLS AND INSTRUCTIONS, you can find it here (right click+save as): https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Gr...aster/help.pdf

Keep in mind this is a beta, there are probably bugs and features are lacking.
    Known problems:
    - Only ilda format 4 and 5 supported
    - Unrealistic laser transparency (multiple layers eventually turn opaque)

--------------------------------------
    Last edited by Grix; 08-16-2015 at 02:09.

Really cool! I think this will set a precedent / raise the bar for a new software feature! Thanks for sharing.

This is really unique.

Nice job!

Kudos on the open source.

I'm not sure about using specific keys on the keyboard to control stuff.

Good luck with that!

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

https://www.oculusvr.com/order/

300 bucks + this player and you can throw away your projector

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    Does it feel like 3d with the glasses on? That would be really cool.
    Yes, that's almost the whole point. Each eye sees a separate image just like in real life. The 3D looks much more natural than f.ex. regular 3D movies using polarizing glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    This is really unique.

Nice job!

Kudos on the open source.

I'm not sure about using specific keys on the keyboard to control stuff.

Good luck with that!

James.
    Thanks. Yeah, using the keyboard is a bit tricky with the rift on, but you can adjust everything in regular 3d mode before you put them on
    And thanks again for all the help in the other thread with the ilda file parsing!

Really cool!
    Here's hoping you will be able to simulate fog and such later on

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    This is really unique.
    Actually Lightconverse does 3D Anaglyph output.

It is truly unique for a free program though and really useful for those who can't afford Pangolin + LC.

EDIT: Found out its also does Left and Right, Top and Bottom, Dual output, nVidia 3D systems as well.
    Last edited by White-Light; 10-03-2013 at 08:22. Reason: Added additional systems - didn't want to divert thread with another post

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    Actually Lightconverse does 3D Anaglyph output.

It is truly unique for a free program though and really useful for those who can't afford Pangolin + LC.
    Anaglyph 3D is quite different from Oculus Rift 3D though

Yeah I quite agree. Anaglyph is a poor method of 3D visualisation. I was just mentioning to James that its not the only 3D model based visualiser out there or the only one doing a 3D optical vision system. It probably is the only one using the Oculus system though and it could well be the only laser one that's free. I certainly look forward to your developments as to have a free option is great for the community.

Since this is open source, could you give some more details about what your dev environment is and what it offers your app?

In a nutshell, LaserBoy is Generic C++ using libSDL to get keyboard hits and provide a screen of pixels.

James.
    Last edited by james; 10-02-2013 at 12:48.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.