Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DMX with QM2K

100% confirmed, the QM2k does not burn out when hooking up DMX directly.

"Also the chip might have "burned out" for some other reason -- hopefully
    other than some inherent design problem. So many people use QM2000 and
    generally we've not heard of or seen problems with DMX."

The QM's parts are in fact FIREPROOF COOL

Yaj this means I don't need to get an analog dmx splitter after all

Quote from bob:

"I just saw the message... And i think something is getting lost intranslation ..
    The thing i said is that a chip on my qm had burned out.

What means that 1 of the chips on the qm was damaged. NOT that it caught fire.. Hehehe "

"The chip "burned out" cause of an faulty cable.
    If people use an official pangolin dmx cable, there should be no problem."
    Last edited by masterpj; 06-08-2011 at 23:56.

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    I believe Gary is working to get Spaghetti to support the QM2000...
    Did you get that email package from me last night? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    Editing the effects is still difficult for me. Granted, I am new to it, but having used other assembly software, it seems that adding the effects to the timeline is a little more complicated than it needs to be. Separate windows to edit the effects....stuff like that. I am still new so, it is daunting. Perhaps when I use it more, I will become more familiar and thus, more comfortable.
    Showtime is very powerful, but you definitely need to spend some time working with it.
    I learned the hard way that learning to use Showtime while building your first show can bit a bit agonizing! Recommendation:
    Play and tinker around with Showtime using very SIMPLE projects before taking on your first show using it!! (AND review the training files!!)

IMO, the DMX support in Showtime is very powerful, and good for including DMX within a show.
    Creating & editing Showtime DMX frames, however, can be a bit tedious because there are so many paramaters that Showtime supports.

For what you're planning on doing, adding the Enttec DMX USB Pro alongside your FB3 will probably give you a much easier solution, with a much more intuitive interface (QuickSHOW 2) - especially if you want to pre-build cues that you can access on-the-fly as if you were using a hardware DMX controller. The Enttec interface is less than $200, which isn't bad for a one-time investment in our $$$$$$ hobby!!!

Plus, this way you would still have Showtime DMX support for your pre-choregraphed mega shows!!
    Last edited by Stuka; 06-09-2011 at 05:15.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Editting the effects eventually get's easier.
    I think it's a lot easier to do now and i got the hang of it quite quick.
    you should load in shows and skip through a few interesting effects and learn how they actually work.
    Same was at first with the sine wave line until i found out it was a coil 3D effect

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by masterpj View Post
    Same was at first with the sine wave line until i found out it was a coil 3D effect
    The sine wave I use is actually an abstract, although I am familiar with the 3d coil frame type you refer to.

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    The sine wave I use is actually an abstract, although I am familiar with the 3d coil frame type you refer to.
    Well true it's possible, thing is that with the abstract is that even when you pause the frame, the abstract will still move.
    I prefer the 3D coil frame because it allows me to stop the frame when i stop the frame, difference is little though

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    Showtime is very powerful, but you definitely need to spend some time working with it.
    I learned the hard way that learning to use Showtime while building your first show can bit a bit agonizing! Recommendation:
    Play and tinker around with Showtime using very SIMPLE projects before taking on your first show using it!! (AND review the training files!!)
    I think that is my first mistake. I am trying to take on a whole show right now. I should probably just stick to the basic... maybe a 30 second bit and play with it a little. I have two things working against me.... 1. QM noob. 2. I just haven't had the time. Working 60 hours a week is killing me right now! Once my co worker gets back from leave, I will have much more time to pour into this.

IMO, the DMX support in Showtime is very powerful, and good for including DMX within a show.
    Creating & editing Showtime DMX frames, however, can be a bit tedious because there are so many paramaters that Showtime supports.

For what you're planning on doing, adding the Enttec DMX USB Pro alongside your FB3 will probably give you a much easier solution, with a much more intuitive interface (QuickSHOW 2) - especially if you want to pre-build cues that you can access on-the-fly as if you were using a hardware DMX controller. The Enttec interface is less than $200, which isn't bad for a one-time investment in our $$$$$$ hobby!!!

Plus, this way you would still have Showtime DMX support for your pre-choregraphed mega shows!!
    I think I might go that route. Enttec with FB3 and then after halloween, I will definitely play with the DMX in Showtime. I typically don't like "club" lights in a beam show, but I do like a single flood of color, sans gobos, with a contrasting color laser amidst it. That looks pretty good. I may give that a try.

Thanks!
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    I think that is my first mistake. I am trying to take on a whole show right now. I should probably just stick to the basic... maybe a 30 second bit and play with it a little. I have two things working against me.... 1. QM noob. 2. I just haven't had the time. Working 60 hours a week is killing me right now! Once my co worker gets back from leave, I will have much more time to pour into this.

I think I might go that route. Enttec with FB3 and then after halloween, I will definitely play with the DMX in Showtime. I typically don't like "club" lights in a beam show, but I do like a single flood of color, sans gobos, with a contrasting color laser amidst it. That looks pretty good. I may give that a try.

Thanks!
    No problem -
    It will be cool to read how you wind up using your gear!

And for further down the road, you might want to keep this idea in your arsenal of possibilities -

QuickShow/FB3 is MIDI enabled - every cue plus most of the image controls can be selected / manipulated via MIDI.
    ShowTime/QM2000 can generate MIDI events.
    MIDI messages can be transmitted between software - or even other computers - without requiring any additional hardware interfaces.

Could open up some interesting possibilities...
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

No problem -
    It will be cool to read how you wind up using your gear!

And for further down the road, you might want to keep this idea in your arsenal of possibilities -

QuickShow/FB3 is MIDI enabled - every cue plus most of the image controls can be selected / manipulated via MIDI.
    ShowTime/QM2000 can generate MIDI events.
    MIDI messages can be transmitted between software - or even other computers - without requiring any additional hardware interfaces.

Could open up some interesting possibilities...
    When I got my QM, my initial thought was to off my FB3. I think I will keep it now. This opens up a whole new realm of possibilities. I have enough parts for a second, lower power RGB. That would be perfect for showing abstracts. I have always wanted to do graphics and abstracts side by side. This might be very do-able with this set up.

Thanks, you have given me very much to think about.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

A bit late to this thread but just to give some context to the 'burning up in flames!!!' thing.

It is NOT unusual for power to find its way onto DMX lines from faults, phantom power on mic lines (a reason for sticking to the 5 pin DMX standard), etc

It is simply good practise to use a splitter of some sort that has opto-isolated outputs to ensure any voltage doesn't go direct to your DMX device. An even more expensive error if its also your ILDA device.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.