Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: portable lumia engine

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Default portable lumia engine

thought i would share a little thing i built for NWLEM.

last year i built kind of a giant RGB lumia projector. those of you who were at SOCALEM got a chance to see it.

i'm heading out to NWLEM and wanted to take some lumia with me. that big projector is not exactly airplane friendly, so i decided to build something a little more portable.

the idea was to build a lumia engine that external laser sources could be projected through. daguin (the excellent) offered me the use of a ~200mW multiline argon so i had green and blue covered. i had a 637 diode sitting around and that covered red. i mounted an mm1 with a mirror for knife edging the external source into the red beam. i could have gone with a dichro, but it's lumia and is better if the beams aren't too tightly aligned.

my device has two belt driven lumia disks that counter rotate very slowly. one turns at about .1 rpm and the other at about .3. each motor has an individual speed control.

it's a backpack friendly 12"x6"x6" and weighs only a pound or so.

here's a couple pics:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lumia-engine-01.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	189.9 KB 
ID:	25463

Name:	lumia-engine-03.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	213.9 KB 
ID:	25464

Name:	lumia-engine-06.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	181.2 KB 
ID:	25465

Name:	lumia-engine-07.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	453.0 KB 
ID:	25466

Name:	lumia-engine-08.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	154.9 KB 
ID:	25467

Name:	lumia-engine-09.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	172.8 KB 
ID:	25468

and if you're curious about what comes out of my lumia devices when you used when an rgb source, here's some footage from the device i took to SOCALEM.

suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Very nice! Lumias are sexy!
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Where did you get the discs? I have been trying to find good lumia material, but I have only found 1 or 2 decent fluorescent diffusers that look semi-okay.

i made them!

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    Where did you get the discs? I have been trying to find good lumia material, but I have only found 1 or 2 decent fluorescent diffusers that look semi-okay.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Care to divulge? If it is a trade secret, I totally understand . I have a few things I am going to try.... melted acrylic/polycarbonate and a few others.

oh it's not secret sauce at all. i'm happy to share.

see my post here for more information about my lumia projectors and disks:

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...804#post173804

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    Care to divulge? If it is a trade secret, I totally understand . I have a few things I am going to try.... melted acrylic/polycarbonate and a few others.

Lightbulb Very nice machine!

swami you may want to try to split the argon beam to get some separation from teh blue and green beams before the lumia. DZ did that on his lumia and it made for a better effect.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

allthat -

thanks! and yes, i've got a little piece of nice diffraction grating i'm going to drop in the beam path before it hits the wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    swami you may want to try to split the argon beam to get some separation from teh blue and green beams before the lumia. DZ did that on his lumia and it made for a better effect.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    allthat -

thanks! and yes, i've got a little piece of nice diffraction grating i'm going to drop in the beam path before it hits the wheels.
    That might be interesting; David used a dichro and another mirror to just separate the cyan into a blue and green beam. The grating might give you too many beams but it might be cool also.

i'm pretty much totally out space for this like dichros or additional mirrors on this little rig. it's only 12"x6"x6", but maybe i could split the lines a bit before they get to me. nwlem will be good for experiments like that.

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    That might be interesting; David used a dichro and another mirror to just separate the cyan into a blue and green beam. The grating might give you too many beams but it might be cool also.