View Poll Results: I am interested in being sold products by lower end Eastern companies

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would like to see what these companies have to offer

5 12.82%
  • No, we could really do without the constant barrage

34 87.18%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are we interested in seeing more Chinese product advertized here?

Default Are we interested in seeing more Chinese product advertized here?

Ok, so we have a new influx of commercial sellers, this time (and usually) from the Eastern realms.

Just so that 'we', as a forum/community, can be clear, how do the majority of people feel about these threads and selling techniques?
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

I am only interested in complete presentations with internal shots, module specs and publicly available pricing + shipping (even so, i would not buy, as i prefer to build myself)

What sould be more interesting to us, is some nice deals on components, optics etc again with fully detailed specs and photos.

So, for the current barrage i would have to say a big "NO"

Maybe there should be a minimum post count before one could gain access to sell
    "its called character briggs..."

Quote Originally Posted by LaNeK779
    Maybe there should be a minimum post count before one could gain access to sell
    I can just see the A-man clocking up his count with his pearls of wisdom!

Quote Originally Posted by taggalucci View Post
    I can just see the A-man clocking up his count with his pearls of wisdom!

i can also see this, but then it is up to us to report spammers

Have done it before in a motorcycle forum and it did work (there was a minimum of 200 posts there before one could access the buy/sell threads)

Personally I feel that imposing a minimum number of posts on a forum member before they can post in BST is overkill. After all, we may miss someone who has just joined to genuinely sell some old gear he found whilst clearing out his cellar/loft/warehouse. This could be available at a bargain price and we could miss out

Why doesn't everyone just do what the vast majority here do and completely ignore these commercial posts? If no-one answers their threads then they'll probably quietly go away anyway... Just a thought

Providing they only post once it isn't too much of a travesty. However, if they become a nuisance with multiple postings then that's probably time to take action and request the Clue-by-four.
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Personally I feel that imposing a minimum number of posts on a forum member before they can post in BST is overkill. After all, we may miss someone who has just joined to genuinely sell some old gear he found whilst clearing out his cellar/loft/warehouse. This could be available at a bargain price and we could miss out
    i hear you on this one. But maybe we have to take some "collateral damage" in order to have less spam...

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Why doesn't everyone just do what the vast majority here do and completely ignore these commercial posts? If no-one answers their threads then they'll probably quietly go away anyway... Just a thought
    this is an even better course of action, but then again it is in "conflict" to the US members' requests for paperwork that generate a certain ammount of posts and "controversy"

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

When we sell in China, we have to be very formal and learn their culture. When they sell here, they pop up and spout non-sense. Level the playing field and force them to conform to the norms of English and the norms of Western Business.

The Galvo makers are usually good engineers, and understand the big picture. The small projector marketing people, however, annoy me.

Steve

i think its better to know what is going on, then just closing the eyes and let it be, i would allow them to post, just in their own section. How you say your "keep your friends close and your enemies closer". Its not so much spamming but better to know whats going on and keep a eye on them, great would be if they have to provide information, like contact name, number and so on, better to keep track... just my 2 cents.

I don't care one way or the other. I ignore most of the posts just like I ignore other nonsense on here. I am not likely to buy anything from China because of shipping costs and because money transfer is typically a pain. I have bought galvos directly from China in the past and it all went well, although a pain.

So, no, I don't see any reason to limit their selling. It isn't hurting anything that I can see other than pissing off some people who have problems with non-varianced projectors.

It isn't hurting anything that I can see other than pissing off some people who have problems with non-varianced projectors
    And me I couldn't care about the non-varianced bit.

TBH, I think its just the way some seem to find their way into every other thread on the forum, using it as a way to introduce their product, just because someone used the word 'galvo' or 'laser module'.

This isn't to create a sh*t storm, this is just to guage 'public' opinion. Perhaps the outcome might drive some small but significant reform in the way 'sellers' come here, or are managed. But again, thats just based on my ideals and view of what this forum is and isn't about fundamentally.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.