Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 532 for first projector?!?!?!

350mw 640 is equivalent in brightness to 570mw 650nm! (61% brighter (- source for figures, Chroma utility)).
    In the nicest possible way, in this circumstance - screw Chroma!

I have a video that shows that 380mW of 642 is comparable to 1.1W of 650

Search for norty303 on youtube for a few comparison videos, I can't browse for the links at work.

In my view, you would need 1W+ of 650 to make a match, and the 640 would be about the same price, but with better specs. In fact, I think my 640's were cheaper than i paid for the 650 now I think back.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post

I have a video that shows that 380mW of 642 is comparable to 1.1W of 650

Search for norty303 on youtube for a few comparison videos, I can't browse for the links at work.

In my view, you would need 1W+ of 650 to make a match, and the 640 would be about the same price, but with better specs. In fact, I think my 640's were cheaper than i paid for the 650 now I think back.
    That doesn't actually surprise me at all Norty as Chroma can't take into account the losses within the projector caused by the fat beam or the appearance caused by a less dense and more diverged beam outside.

Just goes to show how all in, 640 as a wavelength totally bitch slaps 650nm hand down.

Can't wait to see your 637 btw.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroPoint View Post
    I've ventured into a hobby that is not exactly centered around students with school loans to be paid back but I can't help it.
    Oh, I dunno about that...

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    650nm is a fat beam so some will get lost inside the projector as it will miss the scanners. 640 is a tight beam so 100% should exit
    You can make 650nm with exactly the same beam diameter as a 640nm module. Both have roughly the same emitter size and divergence. It is down to which collimating lens you choose.

If your 445 doesn't modulate well at 300mw you turn it up to 500mw
    Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot does this mean?
    Diode lasers have modulation capability well into the MHz range...

Whoop whoop - Rock on Adam!

[INSERT GENERIC CHR*MA MISUSE BASHING PHOTO HERE]

That doesn't actually surprise me at all Norty as Chroma can't take into account the losses within the projector caused by the fat beam or the appearance caused by a less dense and more diverged beam outside.
    Pom-pom-pom-pom...

@Luke...
    Yes, 642/637nm is better. But this is your first build.
    Go for 650/658nm. Grab half a dozen LOC diode for a few quid a go (not £70+ a diode like the 640's). Mess around with them before you dice with a 445nm if you are new to all this. Ok, you will probably pop some along the way. Everyone does...
    Aim for something like 2x 650's combined with a polarising beam splitter cube; you'll end up with around 500mW if done well.
    Red on a shoe string budget; tried and tested; and I guarantee you'll have some change left over for some beers.
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Quote Originally Posted by danielbriggs View Post
    Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot does this mean?
    Diode lasers have modulation capability well into the MHz range...
    Just covering all bases. I've never had a diode laser so don't know about modulation characteristics. I just remember the whole jellybeaning situation not long ago with some lasers and so was giving him reassurance of his options if the diode didn't like such low power operation.

Lightbulb

@Luke...
    Yes, 642/637nm is better. But this is your first build.
    Go for 650/658nm. Grab half a dozen LOC diode for a few quid a go (not £70+ a diode like the 640's). Mess around with them before you dice with a 445nm if you are new to all this. Ok, you will probably pop some along the way. Everyone does...
    Aim for something like 2x 650's combined with a polarising beam splitter cube; you'll end up with around 500mW if done well.
    Red on a shoe string budget; tried and tested; and I guarantee you'll have some change left over for some beers.
    Yeah, thats what I've decided to do. I can get 250mW 650nm diodes for $10 each so i think that will be the smartest choice at the moment. I can (and will) upgrade in the future. I'm going to pick up the diodes and modules today but I don't know about suitable analog modulated drivers for red diodes. The only driver I've ever used is a FlexDrive v5 for my 445. Will that same driver work with red and green as well? If not, does anyone have any recommendations? I will need drivers for red and green at about 150-250mW. -Luke
    LASERS!!

1x Homemade 500mW 405nm Projector
    1x Homemade 1.2W RGB Projector
    1x Lightspace Color Ray Series 6W RGB
    2x Lightspace Venus 2W RGB

ZPL Lighting www.zpllighting.com

I just remember the whole jellybeaning situation not long ago with some lasers
    Isn't jellybeaning a phenomena purely associated with DPSS lasers?
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Isn't jellybeaning a phenomena purely associated with DPSS lasers?
    Yes; I think some of the 445s don't modulate as linear as they could when under powering them down to 300 and below. I also think they seem to run at a slightly lower wavelength at lower powers. To me it looks like they lase around 440 and gradually get to 445+ after 500mW to full power. This may be more an illusion but that is what I have seen with the few I have played with.

Amen! (except I would say 'in all circumstances')

Pom-pom-pom-pom...
    Knees!

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk