Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FlexMod/FlexDrive

Default FlexMod/FlexDrive

So all of my diodes, modules and my scanners are on their way but I have no drivers for my first projector build. Everyone recommends DrLava's FlexMod P3's but they have been out of stock everywhere for months. I'm currently using a FlexDrive V5 to power my 445 diode but I don't know much about this driver. Is the FlexDrive suitable for use in an RGB projector? Are they compatible with analog modulation? If the answer is "no" to either or both of these questions, then my next question is what should I use? Does anyone know if/when the FlexMod P3 will be available again?
    Last edited by ZeroPoint; 06-15-2011 at 02:07.
    LASERS!!

1x Homemade 500mW 405nm Projector
    1x Homemade 1.2W RGB Projector
    1x Lightspace Color Ray Series 6W RGB
    2x Lightspace Venus 2W RGB

ZPL Lighting www.zpllighting.com

why dont you go onto drlava's web site and look at the spec for each driver as this will anwser your questions

im unclear why anyone would buy a driver not knowing what it does or how it operates?
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

I bought the FlexDrive because I needed something to power the diode and I was told it was a good driver for the 445 diode and it was cheap. Plus I hear good things about DrLava's products so I trusted it. I am certainly pleased with it seeing as how I butchered it trying to get it tuned with all the wrong tools and it still works wonderfully. But now that I am moving on to a projector (with the proper tools now) I'm not sure if this is the driver for this application. I'm looking at DrLava's website now and looks like the FlexDrive isn't the driver I want. I'm going to see what else he has. Thanks for your help.

EDIT: Other than a brief description of each driver and a link to download its respective manual I could not find a spec sheet on DrLava's site. However, it is clear to me that all the drivers he offers except for the FlexMod P3 are intended to be used in battery operated devices. Only the P3 specifically indicates its analog modulation compatability. So my search continues for a suitable driver...
    Last edited by ZeroPoint; 06-15-2011 at 02:51. Reason: update
    LASERS!!

well, the FlexMod P3 is the driver of choice for many of us here. you can't go wrong with it

up to 4amps, up to 24v of input, some high analog modulation rate. drives pretty much anything up to a quad 445 (wired in series or parallel) or a 12-banger 660 (again wired parallel). people have also used it to convert low to medium power TTL green labbies to analog

if you want more specific input and user satisfaction data, you can ask andy_con. He vows in the name of the P3

sorry mr con, couldn't resist!!!

you will just have to wait a bit for more units to become available, as it is out of stock for now
    "its called character briggs..."

lol its all good im always up for a laugh ;-)

all i have to say is a bad workman blames his tools
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

I would definitely like to use the FlexMod but with it having been out of stock for months and no indication of it becoming available anytime soon I don't know if I can wait that long. I will try to contact DrLava and see what he says. But, in the event they aren't going to be ready for a while or if I don't hear back from him I have to believe that there are other drivers out there. Why can't I find them? TTL drivers are everywhere but I can't find anything for analog (except for large and/or industrial lasers). Is there anyone else that makes drivers comparable to DrLava's FlexMod?
    LASERS!!

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post

all i have to say is a bad workman blames his tools
    Hey, it's not easy soldering a microchip with an automotive style soldering iron or turning a tiny little potentiometer with a kitchen knife lol

but now that I have the right soldering iron, micro-screwdrivers, and a better idea of what im doing, I'm feeling a bit more comfortable.
    LASERS!!

you can check this one out http://cgi.ebay.com/445nm-405nm-Lase...item4aa76be72a

it also includes a tec controller
    "its called character briggs..."

Awesome!! Thank you!
    LASERS!!

I think I've found the perfect solution at a price I can't pass up!... unless I'm missing something here. I just came across Norm's Triple 3A Laser Diode Driver ( http://www.ctrnd.com/NormLaserShow/R...iodeDriver.htm ). I'm under the impression that this one driver will allow me to modulate all three diodes up to 40kHz and supplies regulated current up to 3A per channel. at $75 I think this would be perfect for a first project But since I'm new to this and I'm certainly not the most techie person here, if anyone sees a problem I missed I would appreciate the correction
    LASERS!!