Thread: GLP Impression RGB 1.2

Default GLP Impression RGB 1.2

http://www.glp.de/index.php?id=244&L=1#3

Has anyone had any experience with this fixture?

It's a compact moving head laser fixture.

Specs seem good and the company is reliable.

Just wondering if anyone has actually used this.

What effect are you trying to achieve?

Have you seen the Pangolin "Dazzler"?

If its 360 degree projection your after the Dazzler offers a static and so potentially more reliable solution.

However, I don't know how it works, only that you are required to alter the cues in your software slightly, so I suggest you contact Pangolin for further information to see if it meets your requirements.

There's a video here: http://www.pangolin.com/_Videos/WideangleWMP9.wmv
    Last edited by White-Light; 06-16-2011 at 07:51.

Default Live Night Club in ATX

They're looking to add to their existing light rig of:

6 - Elation Design Spot 300 Pro
    4 - Martin StageBar 54
    6 - ETC S4 Ellispoidal Jr Zoom
    1 - Le Maitre MVS Hazer
    1 - ChamSys MQ100 Pro

They will be used primarily for aerial effects, not image projection.
    DMX control is necessary as the venue cannot afford another nightly operator.
    The moving head capacity provides an extended amount of focal positions, without having to touch the projector, and another level of movement of the patterns.

What I'm really looking for is has anyone actually used this laser.

Are the scanners up to snuff?

I'm not so worried about overall output/white balance as the club is very dark and the hazer is overpowered (perfect) for the room.

DMX control is necessary as the venue cannot afford another nightly operator.
    The moving head capacity provides an extended amount of focal positions, without having to touch the projector, and another level of movement of the patterns.
    Consider that DMX control and 'moving head' means you will have potentially hazardous emissions being thrown around by an LD who probably has no idea od the safety aspects.

I've no idea where 'ATX' is but if its in the US, the projector itself will be illegal to import and use without a variance, and scanning of the crowd with it (in an uncontrolled fashion via DMX) most certainly will be.

Fill in your profile so we can see where you are, and people can give you relevant advice, including legal relative to your region/country.

As far as the head goes, it seems to have good quality Cambridge scanners and a Pangolin FB3 DAC built in. No idea on the lasers, 446 will be the ones most of us are using or the better beam spec 500mW Nichia diodes, and the 636nm red could either be a fat beam 635 multimode head, or one of the newer 637 units just appearing commercially.

edit: actually I see it has something to stop beams being projected below 3m. Be interested to see how they've implemented that as the head tilt and the scanner Y position both work to affect this aspect. Maybe its got a tilt blocker and a physical beam stop for the laser aperture.
    Last edited by norty303; 06-16-2011 at 10:25.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Thanks for the knowledge. I haven't seen the fixture here in the states so there very well may be a variance issue.

As for audience exposure, I've used black metal shroud strips with IIIb lasers in the past to prevent crowd exposure. There's no reason this approach could not be used with a moving head. The emission point is inline with the X and Y axis. (As opposed to a typical moving head where the emission point is protruding from either)

I haven't seen the fixture here in the states so there very well may be a variance issue
    Will be

In fact there's usually a shit storm of one sort or another about imports and variances and the CDRH.

Do a search for the word 'variance' to get up to speed on today's issues.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

I would have thought as well with a moving head there would have been issues relating to BAM's as just as Norty said, the software has no idea of the amount of tilt on the fixture as laser software is based around the idea of a fixed projector.

Like I said a dazzler attached to an ordinary laser might be the answer but I don't know about the CDRH issue as it too will allow projection below the horizon.

The safest option is multiple projectors or wide scanners to give a wider better perspective I'd have thought.

Another option is bounce mirrors and gratings although again I'm unsure how the CDRH view gratings due to their potential to throw beams below the horizon.

Try talking to Marc at CT lasers as he may be able to give you some advice as he both builds CDRH certified projectors and has used bounce mirror / gratings in installations before. He's also a Pangolin dealer so probably has a view and information on The Dazzler / Disco scan.

There is pretty much ZERO chance of that thing being legal to use in the usa.
    sorry.

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

^^^^ What he said