Thread: Suggestions for a 1watt 640-660nm Laser?

Default Suggestions for a 1watt 640-660nm Laser?

I am hoping to find the best way to put together a red laser (650nm +/- 10nm) to achieve something in the 1 watt power range. Can this be done without combining 2 sources? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Would be great to find one for sale at a good price..

Lightbulb

Define "combining two sources"? As far as I know, if you want any sort of decent beam specs you will have to combine several diodes to get a watt of any red; 640 or 660.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Yes I was referring to using 2 or more diodes and combining their output. Had hoped there was an easier way to do this..

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    Define "combining two sources"? As far as I know, if you want any sort of decent beam specs you will have to combine several diodes to get a watt of any red; 640 or 660.

Lightbulb

Not and get a decent beam. The 1 watt 650s or 635s have monster beams that look more like a rectangle and have really bad divergence. You can make a quad 640 or 660 and get a good beam; why would you prefer not to go that route?

By Quad you are suggesting using 4 diodes and combining them with a cube or some other optics?
    I have had a hard enough time trying to get my RGB lasers to converge into a single point. I can imagine how difficult combining 2 or more like lasers would be.

Although I have never tried doing it.. I would not be adverse to trying.. Worst I could do is screw it up.. ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    Not and get a decent beam. The 1 watt 650s or 635s have monster beams that look more like a rectangle and have really bad divergence. You can make a quad 640 or 660 and get a good beam; why would you prefer not to go that route?

contact Edison on the forum (he's on holiday i believe so maybe 1 week delay) but he can build you a quad with 4 LPC826 diodes doing 250mW each giving you a nice 1W of 660. Or he could make you a mixed one with 2x660 doing 250-300 and 2 doing 170mW of 637. for a total of 900mW+ with a better visibility since the 637 is maybe twice or 3 times as visible as the 660. So that one will look like it's 1.5W of 660 ;-)
    I didn't fail !
    I just found out 10,000 ways that didn't work.

Thanks hobbybob. Yes im on holliday. I can deliver high quality modules up till 4 watt in red and 8 watt in blue. Shoot me a pm when interested.

Andy_Con on this forum also now producing units , very similiar to units he had thread yersterday for in blue
    I have one and very happy with it

Paul
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

Depending on where you live Andy is also a good chap ofcourse, check out his topic on the blue modules he produced.

EDIT: reading this as a non native english speaker i have to clarify that Andy is ALWAYS a good chap, even in you live in Timbuktu, but i meant to say, sometimes it might be handier to buy close by.
    So for Europeans buy stuff from Mr. Stanwax, Andy Con, Mr. Briggs and for Americans Marc, and for Australian people Dave/DZ etc...
    Hopefully it's more clear now, it read like you liking andy depends on where ya live. Which is not true, only if you are his neighbor ofcourse that goes crazy over the constant annoying sound of a mill milling aluminium ofcourse (just kidding !).
    I didn't fail !
    I just found out 10,000 ways that didn't work.