Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12v Projector In Car?

Default 12v Projector In Car?

Right, possibly a bizarre one this... I am currently in the process of a sub boot build in my car and I have a section between two subs. I had no idea what to fit in between and it looks a little empty without anything, but then I had a brainwave... Combine lasers with my love of cars!

As far as I know, no one has done this before and would be really eye catching at shows.

Only trouble is powering the laser... I am not after anything big and expensive, something like a laser crab would be perfect... however that runs off 6v, not 12v which is a problem in the car.

Does anyone know of any simple projectors that run off 12v or how to modify a laser crab to run off 12v? Also the laser would be upgraded to either green or blue as its much more eye catching that red.
    DL - Viper 75mW - Green (532nm)
    DL - 50mW Module - Green (532nm)
    DIY - 50mW - 12k Scanner - Green (532nm)

I run my lasers regularly on cheap 12-230 inverters from car batteries, I'we not seen any issues due to square instead of sine.

You might be able to use a really small 6v laser on a 7806 voltage regulator, or use a DC/DC power supply.

Sorry; you mentioned those two words... "laser crabs"
    Sounds real tacky...

But if you're set on powering a laser; maybe grab a large frame ion laser and link all them car batteries together...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzuruMEr9v0&t=03m22s

- There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Quote Originally Posted by Tormod View Post
    I run my lasers regularly on cheap 12-230 inverters from car batteries, I'we not seen any issues due to square instead of sine.

You might be able to use a really small 6v laser on a 7806 voltage regulator, or use a DC/DC power supply.
    That's a possibility although without the engine running I suspect the battery wouldn't last long.

Quote Originally Posted by danielbriggs View Post
    Sorry; you mentioned those two words... "laser crabs"
    Sounds real tacky...

But if you're set on powering a laser; maybe grab a large frame ion laser and link all them car batteries together...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzuruMEr9v0&t=03m22s

Perhaps you should do more research instead of trying to be funny.

This is my actual car, which set me back £3000 instead of the £200 halfords rubbish you automatically assume I have.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1611.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	25644

You spend your time working with lasers no? I spend my time working on cars, what's the problem? If you don't have anything useful to say, don't bother saying it.
    DL - Viper 75mW - Green (532nm)
    DL - 50mW Module - Green (532nm)
    DIY - 50mW - 12k Scanner - Green (532nm)

i'm sure senior briggs is just kidding and not making any assumptions here. so just some harmlessl humour and that's all

so... there are a number od DC/DC converters that can easily accept 12v as input and have 6v as output. or you can wire a second battery just for the use of the laser projector coupled with a dc/dc cobverter. you can even build your own d/dc converter using an LM 350, or LM 337 or LT 1084 IC. schematics can be found all over google and the circuit is pretty simple (even i can do it and i am no electronics guru)

i suppose a laser crab will be pretty dim and worthless of the effort. i suggest you get some cheap galvos, a 445 diode, a flexmod, a 405-g-2 lens and a pair of anamoprhic prisms and make yourself a nice powerfull blue projector. or you can get a ready made 1w module (there are a few on ebay or even better, some PL memmebrs already have these available)

then, you will only have to worry about the laser output pointing towards the ceiling of the venue and not into the faces of people

just my 2p
    Last edited by LaNeK779; 06-20-2011 at 02:02.
    "its called character briggs..."

gashead is offline Admin Verified: Best Accent Ever(Tm)

Quote Originally Posted by lamborgini8 View Post
    That's a possibility although without the engine running I suspect the battery wouldn't last long.
    You could try an external bank of batteries, uprated Alternator and powercaps (big car stereo style) + an Inverter ?

I'd guess in most situations you won't get away without idling the engine to trickle charge.. how about a cheap Petrol generator ? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Clarke-IG1000-...item3cb928d2e4

The above has in addition to 240v output a 12v output.. so it could be the ticket..

Might be a little crazy but you could fabricate that into the boot somehow, intergrate the exhaust to feed out of the car.. ?

Just my 10 pence!

Cheers,

N.

Yeah that Ford's ripe for pimping... I like the generator mod - good call!

won't he be having power quality issues with the cheap generator? I have to ask again, what does he need the 240v for? The flexmod (or other laser driver) needs a max of 12v and the galvos need low voltage as well. why not skip the 240volt part alltogether and feed every compopnent what it needs directly?
    "its called character briggs..."

Perhaps you should do more research instead of trying to be funny.

This is my actual car, which set me back £3000 instead of the £200 halfords rubbish you automatically assume I have.

You spend your time working with lasers no? I spend my time working on cars, what's the problem? If you don't have anything useful to say, don't bother saying it.

Lighten up.

and...

'Ooh, a £3000 Ford. Don't see too many of those!'

P.S. that is not an invite to list all the bits that make it 'individjul'
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

I've successfully run a 250 mW DPSS projector+control equipment from a 12V inverter for extended periods of time. Like Tormod said, no problems with the square-y "sine" ac output from cheap inverters- never caused problems for me. However, keep that engine running.