Thread: Converting a class 3b laser into a class 4... FOLLOW THE RULES!!!!!

Default Converting a class 3b laser into a class 4... FOLLOW THE RULES!!!!!

So I guess I am just bitching a little, but for all you laserists out there, that are doing laser shows for pay, FOLLOW THE RULES! Yes, you HAD a LEGAL VARIANCED Class 3B Projector, then you went out and decided that since these blue diodes were sooooo cheap, you would put a ton of them in all of your class 3b projectors... Well by doing that, you have now made your LEGAL laser and ILLEGAL one, and you are now part of the problem. You are not following the guidelines set forth by the CDRH and you ARE operating an ILLEGAL Laser show!!! There are several things needed to change a class 3b to a class 4 laser, and if you are going to do that, 1) you MUST put together a new PRODUCT REPORT, 2) submit it before you put your Rebuilt projector into comission, and 3) get your manufacturing variance.

Just because you know "HOW" to do it, doesn't mean you have the LEGAL Right to do so. Remember, the CDRH is now taking an active role in making sure that the rules are followed, and they WILL be getting to you. Especially if you are posting pictures, prices, and advertising online... It is only a matter of time...

^^ +1

CDRH is VERY actively researching old variances, new variances, pending variances applied variances and pending variances. There are MANY MANY changes in the works and on the horizon. some good. some will be a pain. but if we all work together and keep the info readily available it will benefit us in the end.

I (along with a few other members here) are on the ILDA regulatory committee and are actively trying to work with the CDRH to deal with these issues that are and will be affecting ALL of us!

Bottom line- the days of "Grey areas" and non-contact with the CDRH are over. If you are doing shows in public make sure you are doing things *BY THE BOOK!*

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

I am curious as to how many people are actually doing paid shows, or even shows where comerce is occuring. I am currently doing everything I can to get my projector and show varience so I can get paid to do shows, but have yet to take my projector out of the house to even "promote" myself. I spoke with a local city official and he is interested in seeing what I can do, but I know I need a varience to even take my projector to his location to do a demo.

I would also venture to say that there are very few class 3b projectors being built today; I assume they are ALL class 4 with the deep blues on the market.

Since the case interlock was mentioned, isn't that only needed if the class 4 projector will be sold or rented out? Won't this label:

DANGER

LASER RADIATION WHEN OPEN

AVOID EYE OR SKIN EXPOSURE

TO DIRECT OR

SCATTERED RADIATION

No user serviceable parts inside. Refer to Allthatwhichis Technologies for maintenance and service.

Get you by without case intrusion sensors, along with non-standard case screws; again if you are the only person or company that will ever use the projector? (I have case intrusion sensors on mine, but have the label just in case and want to bring the question up for others.)
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    ...... I assume they are ALL class 4 with the deep blues on the market......

Well said Aaron...
    I agree.
    my webpage
    http://stevemilani.jimdo.com
    Skype ID: stevemilani957

my RGB analogue projectors:
    3.9 W (640/532/445) 30kpps
    2.6 W (655/532/450) 30kpps
    2.5 W (638/532/450) 30kpps
    0.7 W (test unit)(635/532/473) 18kpps

Yes, IF you are the manufacturer on record for the projector, and you are the only one that uses the projector... but I am talking about everyone who has purchased a Class 3B laser and now are replacing the lasers inside with Class 4 laser diodes.
    Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    I am curious as to how many people are actually doing paid shows, or even shows where comerce is occuring. I am currently doing everything I can to get my projector and show varience so I can get paid to do shows, but have yet to take my projector out of the house to even "promote" myself. I spoke with a local city official and he is interested in seeing what I can do, but I know I need a varience to even take my projector to his location to do a demo.

I would also venture to say that there are very few class 3b projectors being built today; I assume they are ALL class 4 with the deep blues on the market.

Since the case interlock was mentioned, isn't that only needed if the class 4 projector will be sold or rented out? Won't this label:

DANGER

LASER RADIATION WHEN OPEN

AVOID EYE OR SKIN EXPOSURE

TO DIRECT OR

SCATTERED RADIATION

No user serviceable parts inside. Refer to Allthatwhichis Technologies for maintenance and service.

Get you by without case intrusion sensors, along with non-standard case screws; again if you are the only person or company that will ever use the projector? (I have case intrusion sensors on mine, but have the label just in case and want to bring the question up for others.)

Question

Quote Originally Posted by slicklasers View Post
    Yes, IF you are the manufacturer on record for the projector, and you are the only one that uses the projector... but I am talking about everyone who has purchased a Class 3B laser and now are replacing the lasers inside with Class 4 laser diodes.
    I'll take it we are going on the assumption that the projector was varienced to begin with. Could the owner contact the manufacturer and request new labels and that they send an addendum to the CDRH? TEchnically that would make the manufacturer's projector legal as a class 4 after the varience came back right? Or do they now need to install case intrusion sensors because they are selling the projector...

This was about people who purchased a varianced class 3b laser and are now putting class 4 laser diodes in them. Obviously people are doing this with their illegal china special lasers, as they already showed that they don't care about the FDA/CDRH by getting an illegal laser.