Thread: O-like green laser

Question O-like green laser

Hi everyone,

I plan to create a compact RGB laser of about 2w-2.5w with 700mw of blue 447nm, 4xLPC-826 and a green module of o-like.

But I have a question: what is the difference between these 3 lasers :

http://www.o-like.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_ id=96

http://www.o-like.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_ id=94

http://www.o-like.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_ id=95

I've done some observations:

-the pump diode seems to be the same in the 3 modules
    -the amount of stock is IDENTICAL on the website !
    -but the price is not the same

so what can we conclude?

Is it just a marketing approach or the power announced are true? Has anyone tried to measure the power?

Sorry for my bad english, I come frome Belgium, speak french

Michael

edit : I've sent a mail to O-like but nobody reply me ...

Could be a number of things. But, most likely, they build them all the same and then measure the output power at a given current. Depending on the output power they bin them in to the differernt categories you see.

In order to use them in a module you'll need to cool them somehow. Notice that they have a rather lame duty cycle as they are. They will also require a driver that will provide modulation.

Default O-like lasers

Mikl,

Welcome to PL! Since you are building a projector consider investing in at least TTL modulation so you can blank your laser... For green I chose the OL-IGR-100; in fact that is the laser shown in my avatar. That picture was taken without smoke but the shutter time on the camera was adjusted a bit to be open for longer than normal. Analog modulation is much better but costs more $.

You have encouraged me to 'show my cards here' ... I have already placed four orders with o-like because each time I ordered from them I was was so happy with the product just 'had to have another' ... The first laser ordered was their 150mW Industrial Red laser diode module/TTL... Wow for $29 USD plus $5 global shipping this little devil got me HOOKED on solid state lasers. Built a little comparator circuit for the correction amp and BAM was painting graphics with blanking! That was the beginning of the end for my spare money because next came the green one above, and the newest arrival is their 1 Watt 445 nm blue/TTL (NICE!) and two more of the reds because I managed to begin building the world's worst color balanced projector but right now the way I see it: purchase as much power for the money to learn how much power 'we need' and take my time on the next projector (Next projector? In all fairness they warned me here about laser obsession)

I think the differences in products you are looking at is output power... But like John Yayas said the 'duty cycle' of the laser you are thinking about is horrible, it is not rated in KhZ (thats at least what you want for blanking) but rather for seconds; those modules look more like a pointer module to me ... "100 seconds on, 60 seconds off". If you are buliding a projector get the 'lab' style lasers, the O-likes in my projector project take 5VDC or 12VDC ....

Have fun!

Jason

thanks guys for your replies!

first of all, this isn't my first laser, I have a 11w RGB (you can take a look here : http://laserfreak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=107&t=49974 ),

but nobody uses these greens lasers in laserfreak, that's why I ask my questions here

About the duty cycle, I want to put a flexmod P3 directly, and a tec on diodes mount (4 lpc + blue + green) and then "delete" the 60 secondes "off".

Do you think that is possible?

And about the beam, specifications are pretty nice (can be adapted into a 3mm diam/1.0mrad)

Default Modulate?

Ahh I see you understand the thrist for power very well!

I don't know if you would have any luck modifying the module - maybe somebody who has successfully modified a module like that can chime in.... Once I took apart a 150mW pointer module only to find the board has some sort of epoxy so could not solder directly to the LD, but that was a different vendor....

Jason