View Poll Results: Will you be attending S.E.L.E.M. this summer?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell yes! I can't wait!

6 31.58%
  • I hope to attend, if I can get the time off...

5 26.32%
  • No, I'm busy that weekend.

0 0%
  • No, it's too far away from me.

7 36.84%
  • No, not interested.

0 0%
  • I'm waiting to see how many people are going before I decide...

1 5.26%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Official S.E.L.E.M. Thread!

Outdoor venue? That's risky. (Think of the FAA and CDRH complications, not to mention the hassle of running generators...) Any chance of an indoor one? (Hard to run a fog machine outside too.)

I do like the idea of a "pre-selem" meeting in Florida to get things rolling though. And there do seem to be quite a few members in that state. I would be willing to drive to Ocala for a get-together.

Now that I think of it, there might be a solution in the town of Palatka. There's a resort hotel on the water there called "The Moorings"... (Next to the crystal cove marina) I think they have a few conference rooms there, and I know that their rates are reasonable. I might need to check into that some more...

Adam

Palatka... That'd be ok for me, good for our Jags man... The outdoor suggestion is actually in the woods, fairly far from any airports. I was reading that, and this is third or fourth hand, please correct me if I am way off here... I was reading that variances are really only for professional shows. The FDA cannot hassle, fine, take to jail, punish a amature laser show. Something about not being commercial so the FDA has no jurisdiction. Sorry for the POOR spelling. ops:

Acatually, Orlando may be a better location for everyone to reach. More centralized for Florida members. Even you if you're at your mom's. We can carpool... I'm not a church goer, but that may be a good route to go. I wish I had gotten some better connections at the Orange County Convention Center. I ran networking wire there when the new section was built. Those rooms are NICE!

Maybe Pangolin has a nice empty warehouse we could ues for a weekend... :idea: :roll: Or a BIG u store it... Sorry gettin stupid... :?

I do like the idea of a "pre-selem" meeting in Florida to get things rolling though. And there do seem to be quite a few members in that state. I would be willing to drive to Ocala for a get-together.

Now that I think of it, there might be a solution in the town of Palatka. There's a resort hotel on the water there called "The Moorings"... (Next to the crystal cove marina) I think they have a few conference rooms there, and I know that their rates are reasonable. I might need to check into that some more...

Adam
    Adam, Palatka sounds like it would work. If there is anything I could do to help out with that, please don't hesitate to ask. Though, if it looks as though the turnout would only be a few people, someone's garage may work just as well and be much cheaper... Unfortunately I will be projectorless soon as my bright bare aluminum projector is just about to get torn down and sent off to be anodized! Can't wait for that!

David

Finding a "connection" in Palatka may not be the easiest thing in the world though... Besides the "Moorings" does anyone here know anyone in Palatka? How many of us can find Palatka on map? I live off of ST RD 19... 65 miles south of there, so I do... but that's not really fair. If the rates are cheap enough though. It's real convienent to me.

Besides the "Moorings" does anyone here know anyone in Palatka?
    I happen to have family in Palatka.

I live off of ST RD 19... 65 miles south of there
    I'm 59.1 miles away. 8)

David

Quote Originally Posted by DZurcher
    Besides the "Moorings" does anyone here know anyone in Palatka?
    I happen to have family in Palatka.

I live off of ST RD 19... 65 miles south of there
    I'm 59.1 miles away. 8)

David
    Ahh, I thought Jacksonville was closer than that to Palatka. Jacksonvill's a BIG town though... My girlfriend moved to Summerville, SC for a year and I took trips up there and went through both Palatka and Jacksonville. Well, I'd bypass as much of Jacksonville as possible.

Ha! Summerville eh? That's about 5 miles from where I live! (I'm just off Dorchester road, near Ashley Phosphate road.)

I only mentined Palatka because I drive through there on the way to my Mom's place. Plus my Mom and Dad used to keep their boat at the Crystal Cove Marina. I've stayed at the Moorings a few times, and eaten at Korky Bell's quite a few times. Not a bad place really.

The idea of a "U-Store-it" isn't so crazy... But someone's garrage would probably work just as well in that case. I like the idea of an indoor location though, and a hotel conference room would be just about ideal in my book. (I don't think any of our Florida members have water-cooled lasers in their projectors.) If we decide we need 220, I can build a spider-box and get us temporary 220 power via a pair of 110 outlets - provided we are lucky enough to have a pair of outlets in the room from opposite sides of the breaker box.

David: I'm thinking this wouldn't be until after the first of the year, so you'd have time to get your projector re-assembled.

RE: outdoor shows. True that the FDA (and the CDRH) has no jurisdiction if there's no commerce involved. However, the FAA *does* have jurisdiction for any outdoor show. In this climate of heightened awareness re: lasers and aircraft I woulnd't want to be involved in an outdoor show unless I was POSITIVE that the lasers coulnd't reach out into the sky.

I do have a generator that will put out 40 + amps of 110, or 20 + amps of 220... But I'd look at that as a last resort option.

Jacksonville would also be an option, if anyone has contacts in that area... Don't know what conference rooms run in the city, but if the price is right...

Adam

The idea of a "U-Store-it" isn't so crazy... But someone's garrage would probably work just as well in that case. I like the idea of an indoor location though, and a hotel conference room would be just about ideal in my book.
    I wouldn't think a self storage place would be ideal at all. Most of them don't have power, and the owners may not care for loud music and fog everywhere! I'd put that idea at the bottom of the list: Hotel Conf. Room, Garrage, Denny's, Self Storage...

(I don't think any of our Florida members have water-cooled lasers in their projectors.) If we decide we need 220, I can build a spider-box and get us temporary 220 power via a pair of 110 outlets - provided we are lucky enough to have a pair of outlets in the room from opposite sides of the breaker box.
    Yep, no more water cooled lasers here. Though I wouldn't mind having my 88 back. Spider Boxes are nice, but I've never had a problem of wiring directly into a breaker box if a dryer outlet isn't close by. I did that in my garrage in Clermont for a few Halloween shows. The last year we did it, I attached a rotary phase converter directly to the main panel and ran my coherent purelight. Unfortunately the phase converter wasn't beefy enough and I was only able to get the thing up to enough tube current to give me about 20mW of red. Which is why I had to rent a 25KW diesel powered generator...

Jacksonville would also be an option, if anyone has contacts in that area... Don't know what conference rooms run in the city, but if the price is right...
    I'll ask around, I work with a few hotels in the area for my day job. Plus the local museum has a rather large conf. room. I may also be able to provide sound for the event...

David

Now we're talking!

I agree that a conference room is ideal. Though I've seen several storage units that were quite nice. My ex-neighbor used to rent one so his band could practice. They had power and air conditioning, and since there was normally no one around there weren't any problems with the noise... (The band wasn't very good!)

Still, conference rooms or ballrooms make a lot more sense. And I'd like to avoid having to rent generators too! (RE: wiring to the breaker box - that's not normally an option in a hotel conference room...) Still, I don't think power will be a problem. From what I've read here on the board, all our Florida members have 110V solid-state projectors. (Well, with the possible exception of Bill Brenner of Pangolin, who no doubt has lots of different lasers to choose from, and possibly Marconi, who may own a few larger ion lasers in addition to his solid state ones.)

RE: Providing sound for the event... You've got a mobile sound system? (Do some DJ work on the side, do you?) :roll:

It would also be nice to be close to food and lodging. Might turn into a weekend event, and we've got to crash sometime.

Keep the ideas coming!

Adam

I have a co-worker sho IS a dj... He also worked with one of the former pres. of ILDA. Steve something... weird... Although my last name is the same as a"famous" resturant so I am making no judgments here, just an observation. 8)

He has a portable set up for mixing CDs. Him and a few friends are having a party in Daytona in a couple of weeks, Dec 1-5th I think. :? I also have numerous computers with much music and a small mixer. We need speakers and amps though. I also have a 5000 watt 220 generator if need be. Although we all got 110 projectors so there should be no need.

You'd rather go to Denny's than a pimp storage unit... The newer ones around my house are almost livable. Well... :? :roll:

Damn, I just got yelled at by the Sig Shrinker at CPF...

I'll get my girl to make lasanga, and well all bring our favorite cereals... :P It hookers we really need. :twisted: :lol: