Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lasershow by USA company, offshore on boat?

correct 15 characters

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew/DLS View Post

The ship is not registered in the USA, and if they sail out far enough they don't need to adhere to any USA laws. Looks like it's open season for crowd scanning at sea!
    Ahem. Lets not forget that people like Bill and Greg probably hold variances for crowd scanning even within US borders. (I'm 99.9% sure they do I'm just saying probably just in case of that 0.1%).

Thus I think the only real point of discussion was to MPE or not to MPE and that by Buffos account was down to European members control, who not being in US waters were not bound by US law.

heres a concept... do whatever you feel comfortable doing.. if you are even asking these questions it would be hoped that you have the insight to know if what you are doing is dangerous or not

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

If the ship (known as She in the Western World, He in Russia) pulls into US Ports or Waters,, She complies with US Rules, and the Coast Guard will see to it that she does.

If She's insured, She complies with Lloyds rules or Det Norske Veritas etc, or other insurer's rules, and you can bet they cover non-ionizing safety. These rules make most national rules look weak.

Plus She will conform to the registry state's rules, ie if she is registered in Bahamas, or Liberia, and flies the flag of that Nation, she will conform to their rules.

Something like a laser, fog machine, or stage lighting will NOT go unnoticed as a permanent install on a cruise liner.

Steve

tell that to LaserNET

NSFW but pretty much sums up the situation. I assume they are wearing laser protective glasses at the beginning because of the offshore crowd scanning

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    If the ship (known as She in the Western World, He in Russia) pulls into US Ports or Waters,, She complies with US Rules, and the Coast Guard will see to it that she does.

If She's insured, She complies with Lloyds rules or Det Norske Veritas etc, or other insurer's rules, and you can bet they cover non-ionizing safety. These rules make most national rules look weak.

Plus She will conform to the registry state's rules, ie if she is registered in Bahamas, or Liberia, and flies the flag of that Nation, she will conform to their rules.
    This is the way things *should* be, but saddly, the reality is that none of the above agencies are even remotely concerned with lasers aboard cruise ships. I offer as proof the fact that every cruise I've been on (4 and counting, so far) has had laser projectors present, and they all had problems with following the rules.
    Something like a laser, fog machine, or stage lighting will NOT go unnoticed as a permanent install on a cruise liner.
    The video that Andrew/DSL linked to above is from a permanent install on a Carnival cruise ship. It crowd-scans the lido deck every night. It most definitely goes unnoticed, by all the agencies you listed above.

As Frank said: "Tell that to LaserNet". Because they are the company that installed those projectors for Carnival. Enforcement is non-existent aboard cruise ships. Period.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post

Steve
    LOL. I lived on a ship for 4 yrs and we did not call ships SHE. Well, one guy did and but he was kind of weird. We called them "it", "that ship over there", or by their name (The Billy B, The Roosevelt, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    LOL. I lived on a ship for 4 yrs and we did not call ships SHE. Well, one guy did and but he was kind of weird. We called them "it", "that ship over there", or by their name (The Billy B, The Roosevelt, etc).
    Well, in essence, he was right.

Calling a ship 'she' is part of European naval and maritime tradition for centuries. As I recall it's a reference to the shape, grace and style of movement of a woman.

Old school shippingClick image for larger version. 

Name:	48- W3-DP_8.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	200.4 KB 
ID:	25970