Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PORTABLE - Small Outdoor Fog Machine

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    My neighbor was using one the other day to kill bugs on his squash. It was slightly windy and the fog blew into my yard. It wasn't dark enough for a laser show so I drank a beer.
    I'm going to start calling you Homer

Beer and insecticide, Hmmmmmmm.

Fog juices, when overheated, are toxic and a pretty nasty respiratory irritant. The overheating causes the glycol based fluid to breakdown into nasty compounds that should not be inhaled ! That is the biggest drawback to foggers. The heating element is cooled by the fluid causing the "fog" as it can't be allowed to get too hot.
    Hazers are not supposed to boil a fluid, as far as I understand, but atomize the fluid (usually a food grade mineral oil) using spray jets and high pressure. This also can not have a particle size below a pre-determined level or else it becomes dangerous. When done improperly the smaller particles will coat the interior tissues of the lungs and prevent you from being able to absorb oxygen causing a pneumonia-like condition that can KILL YOU.
    Both methods require extreme caution when being used. The fact that the commercial grade units are commonly available should not make you think that the methods aren't very carefully crafted precision pieces of equipment. It's just that there are enough people wanting it that someone can make money selling them.

You need to look into the inherent dangers more before you subject an uninformed audience to the possible long term effects of your poorly thought through designs. The damage to someones lungs may not show for some time or until another event triggers a posing problem. (I have many respiratory problems now as a result of exposure to toxins from 20 years ago. I wouldn't wish them on an enemy never mind a friend or client !)

Be careful !

"You need to look into the inherent dangers more before you subject an uninformed audience to the possible long term effects of your poorly thought through designs. "

Guess that was pointed at , me , point taken , i was ignorant of the dangers , now duly informed

FOLKS DONT DO IT
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

BTW when I said "poorly thought through designs" it wasn't meant as a derogatory reference but rather a clinical description. The idea is somewhat valid but the risks weren't properly understood thereby making the design(s) dangerous. No slight intended.

I think you understood enough as you have stated clearly, in large friendly red letters, the best advice about it all.
    Tricky stuff this artificial clouding on demand.

C'mon shorty, enough bagging. Tell us how you'd do it.