Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does this mean?

Default What does this mean?

A venue I'm doing a show for has stipulated the following condition:

Where the laser beam terminates at a fixed point or points an automatic cut out should be provided, operating from the terminating material so that in the case of accidental misalignment or blockage of the beam path the laser is automatically switched off.
    Can anyone tell me what that means?

Almost sounds like a scan fail requirement, but I think more context of the statement is needed; maybe more of the paragraph of that stated stipulation.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

"An area on all sides and at the end of the laser beam shall be designated a danger area and no personnel shall be allowed within this area whilst the laser is in use. The operator shall immediately switch off the laser beam should any person or article attempt to pass into the danger area. Where the laser beam terminates at a fixed point or points an automatic cut out should be provided, operating from the terminating material so that in the case of accidental misalignment or blockage of the beam path the laser is automatically switched off."

sounds almost like if you have a beam table they want a sensor on the far end to detect you haven't drifted? thats pretty nutty...

it gave me the impression of photo-sensitive walls, connected to your interlock loop

i am not sure the guy who wrote this has any clear idea of what he wants to expess
    "its called character briggs..."

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    sounds almost like if you have a beam table they want a sensor on the far end to detect you haven't drifted? thats pretty nutty...
    I agree; a beam mask should be sufficient. What they seem to be asking for sounds complex and beyond anything I have heard of in use.

If it was my gig I would ask them to explain in more simple terms what they have in mind. A phone call initially I think. Its no use having conditions that are unfathomable imho, when the ultimate objective is safety.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

They want you to define a danger zone "ie people in the club or workers" to were the laser will NOT be scanned into. Like if they have a bar on the left side of the dance floor, they do not want lasers in the bar, and it would be a danger zone.

Also looks like they are saying, that if the projector gets bumped or moved it shuts down to protect the so called danger zone.

More or less, to cover the venues ass.

In a way makes it hard, because if the bar is in the back, then what do you do? Sounds like more of a pain in the arsh to deal with this venue.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomRage View Post
    They want you to define a danger zone "ie people in the club or workers" to were the laser will NOT be scanned into. Like if they have a bar on the left side of the dance floor, they do not want lasers in the bar, and it would be a danger zone.

Also looks like they are saying, that if the projector gets bumped or moved it shuts down to protect the so called danger zone.

More or less, to cover the venues ass.

In a way makes it hard, because if the bar is in the back, then what do you do? Sounds like more of a pain in the arsh to deal with this venue.
    I understand the bit about the "safe/danger" zone. It was the bit about "terminating materials" that can shut down the laser if the beam is blocked that had me baffled. I don't have static termination points (for a beam show by definition!), but the idea of having a sensor at each point a beam terminated that shut the laser off when it WASN'T getting lit was, frankly, bizarre to me. If it relates to beam tables then that's fine as I don't use one.

BTW, this venue is the O2 in Bristol.

Just my thoughts...
    It sounds to me like what is being expressed would be that if you have a pronounced beam that you "bounce" around the venue, say from point(mirror) to point(mirror) to point, that the last point would be required to have a photocell or other "detector" to confirm that the beam is ending where it should. If the beam doesn't reach the terminus point then it must be interrupted or misaligned and the projector would need to be shut off.
    Think of it along the lines of a concert or show with multiple lines projecting outward and bouncing back a couple of times before ending at a wall or whatever.
    Sounds like an OLD clause from other applications.

Perhaps it is a good time to educate the venue owner to more modern regulations and standards. Possibly give them a new definition or clause that might work better for them while being a bit easier to understand.