3 6.67%
  • I AM A BANANA!!

10 22.22%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Graphics Show or Beam Shows?

Beams.
    Abstracts.
    Old school arcade games.

As was said, why use a less than ideal technology for doing graphics when we have very advanced technology already, and VJ's more than willing to provide it.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by taggalucci View Post
    My 2c...

RGB lasers are not the best projection medium for graphics. I prefer High Def digital video myself for that. So laser graphics just look gimmicky to me. Eventually, a laser projector and associated software may be able to render the animations we've had available via Standard Def video projection for years, but what's the point (even if it can be done in 3D on a 2D screen/scrim/wall)?

Nothing beats the sharp precision of a laser beam cutting through thin (haze assisted) air. This is where lasers can't be beat, and for me, where the energy should be spent in advancing the state of the art.

Additionally my view is driven by the 17 years of regular experience in being bathed in audience scanned laser light. Every time I see a video of a laser show where there are only overhead beams and scans (i.e. no audience scanning), it looks weird because it is lacking that which I love most: the magic of being touched by the razor sharp beams and scans.
    I'll be honest with you, I agree, but at the same time, I kind of disagree.. being audience scanned like we end up at the LEM's and such, ya it is truly magical... I mean, seriously, its like some kind of crazy drug induced tripping or something (mind you I have never done drugs, so I just figure thats what a good trip would be like) but it really does bother me when I get hit in the face with a beam... does not matter if its 20mW or 5W, it just drives me nuts, and after a while kind of gives me a migraine (405nm really, really messes with my head, I get a headache almost instantly)

I prefer graphics/abstract shows. Sadly, there aren't many really good graphics/abstract shows out there. On many occasions, I've left a planetarium laser show early due to piss poor programming. Some of the best graphics/abstract shows I've seen have come from AVI, it's a mix, some are bad, some are good and they have a couple that are outstanding.