Thread: Dichro or BeamSplitter/Combiner??

Default Dichro or BeamSplitter/Combiner??

Ok, So i have beed trying to add my green and red lasers using a dichro, but im not happy with the loss... Lost of reflection off the green ( red is good) Would it be better/possible to just use a beam splitteer to combine the two colored beams with less loss???
    CREATIVITY AT THE SPEED OF LIGHT!
    www.laser-ad.com

The optical coating may not be correct for the 532nM pass/reflection. Most are 515 nM +/- 15 nM. There may be polarization issues with a cube. Would ask Spec or Marconi to step in. The dichro's I have are great as far as coatings and quaility.....not much loss to even mention....less than 2%. They are from an unknown manu. I have read good reports about the Edmund dichro's but have a high price tag. Might check with Spec to see if there are any available.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Quote Originally Posted by MechEng3
    The optical coating may not be correct for the 532nM pass/reflection. Most are 515 nM +/- 15 nM. There may be polarization issues with a cube. Would ask Spec or Marconi to step in. The dichro's I have are great as far as coatings and quaility.....not much loss to even mention....less than 2%. They are from an unknown manu. I have read good reports about the Edmund dichro's but have a high price tag. Might check with Spec to see if there are any available.
    515nM is common with older surplus optics, they were "cut" for argon lines.

Issues with using a cube will be based on your green laser usually. Most dpss green lasers these days have a polarization ratio less than 18:1, so the losses might be more than with your existing dichro.

The edmund dichros here are absolutely phenomenal but their price tag is quite high given. I was averaging 4% transmission loss with green and 1% reflection loss with red.

http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlineca...=2433&search=1

As you can see, they are quite "clean"

I ordered my set of three about a month ago and they havent shipped the blue one yet... The red and green one though do live up to their charts.

Default dichroic filters

Spectronika & MediaLas sell dichroic filters

http://spectronika.com/Optics.html#Stock%20Coated

http://www.medialas.de/test2005/komp...n_optics_e.htm

Also there is an ebay seller bjomejag that sells filters and other optical components.

If you see a listing titled Optical Filter Dichroic 560DRSP 25mm Beamsplitter @45 that is the one.

I believe both Laserlover and possibly Junktronix each bought 560DRSP filters after I posted in alt.lasers a reply to someone inquiring about needing a reflect red dichroic 45 deg.
    I bought one, wish I got two now, but I havent tried mine yet but graph looks really good.

I tested a red/green dichro from Medialas, and it is very efficient :
    - Red reflection : <1% loss
    - Green transmission : I've measured a loss of 15-20mW on a 200mW beam but I think it's due to IR light that influence the measure (with my Laserchek). The IR don't pass the dichro at all... So I think the efficiency is very correct.

Price are very reasonnable...