View Poll Results: Do you believe Build a Pulse Laser Pistol at Home is suitable here at PL?

Voters
261979. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 0.00%
  • No

34 0.01%
  • None of the above

5 0.00%
  • I am a banana.

261,928 99.98%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you think Building a Pulse Laser Pistol at Home belongs on PhotonLexicon?

Question

Gosh... is this 'DJavu', or what?!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHomebrewGuru View Post
    ...as many have expressed having enjoyed this project.
    ...Hmm, 19 to 4, with 3 neutrals... Indeed, your favorites are truly staggering.

OK, so... Pistolero - you've forced everyone down on their condescending-knees, and you are the new undisputed King of PL - everyone lauds you for your sparkling innovation, saSSY craftsmanship and 'middle-name of Danger'... and I smell an Oscar for that video, fo' sure...

...What else ya got?

j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

It is obvious by your continued bucking and refusal to take any constructive
    criticism from more knowledgeable members than yourself... that you are
    a $hit Disturber....

The more you stir it... the worse it will smell... and at this time your snoot should
    be quite full... You will not fit in with your continued arguing...

I'd like to see you in my home arguing with my relatives... It would have been
    settled long ago...

All I see is a new member with no respect for any community.. trying to shove
    his dangerous project and illogical/false safety reasoning on a community that
    DOES NOT WANT IT HERE.....
    You are here as a privilege... not a right...

You are just

Jerry
    See the LaserBee II and all other LaserBee LPM products here....
    All LaserBee Laser Power Meter Products

New 3.2Watt RS232/USB LaserBee II LPM REVIEW

Always in stock and ready to ship....
    Subsidary:-Pharma Electronic Solutions

Though it probably won't help the OP one bit, I fully support the posting of his project in this forum and especially in the section where he posted it. He's explained his position intelligently and respectfully, the name calling and continuous and redundant admonitions are unwarranted and unfair in my opinion, and the project certainly belongs here and at Skywalker Ranch.

If this is to be a place only for those building and/or using professional laser light show equipment, there shouldn't be sections for all the other aspects of hobbyist laser applications. I'm planning on posting my recent holographic project where I mounted a laser lit hologram on my bicycle. I wonder if that will also be met with "nanny state" paranoia about what some idiot with no sense of personal responsibility might do sometime in the future with the information.

I think this is the absolute best place for this project to be posted. Where else will all the potential danger be pointed out to those reading about it? Would it be better for it to be posted on a Craigslist forum? An electronics hobbyist forum? Where they have NO idea of laser safety considerations? How about just a YouTube video with no qualified comment? No, this is by far the best place for it.

I hope he seriously considers all the input he's gotten here, despite the crap on the side, and incorporates it into his next project (and its presentation). And I also hope those I'm obviously in disagreement with on this, whom I respect, will step back and reconsider their initial reactions. I'm every bit as concerned about the safe use of laser light and handling of the components that go into lasers, I just think projects like this should be shared and encouraged (with educated comment and criticism) instead of sequestered because of political correctness.

Quote Originally Posted by Eidetic View Post
    Though it probably won't help the OP one bit, I fully support the posting of his project in this forum and especially in the section where he posted it. He's explained his position intelligently and respectfully, the name calling and continuous and redundant admonitions are unwarranted and unfair in my opinion, and the project certainly belongs here and at Skywalker Ranch.

If this is to be a place only for those building and/or using professional laser light show equipment, there shouldn't be sections for all the other aspects of hobbyist laser applications. I'm planning on posting my recent holographic project where I mounted a laser lit hologram on my bicycle. I wonder if that will also be met with "nanny state" paranoia about what some idiot with no sense of personal responsibility might do sometime in the future with the information.

I think this is the absolute best place for this project to be posted. Where else will all the potential danger be pointed out to those reading about it? Would it be better for it to be posted on a Craigslist forum? An electronics hobbyist forum? Where they have NO idea of laser safety considerations? How about just a YouTube video with no qualified comment? No, this is by far the best place for it.

I hope he seriously considers all the input he's gotten here, despite the crap on the side, and incorporates it into his next project (and its presentation). And I also hope those I'm obviously in disagreement with on this, whom I respect, will step back and reconsider their initial reactions. I'm every bit as concerned about the safe use of laser light and handling of the components that go into lasers, I just think projects like this should be shared and encouraged (with educated comment and criticism) instead of sequestered because of political correctness.
    Thank you for posting your support Bob; I may disagree with you on this one but appreciate the honesty.

You also know there are AUs of difference between your "bike projector" and this laser pistol... as long as you aren't going to use one of the 445s for the laser.

edit:

Of course I posted this before I saw your thread. Hologram set up looks nice especially with the WL unit on low power.
    Last edited by allthatwhichis; 07-23-2011 at 11:15.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Though it probably won't help the OP one bit, I fully support the posting of his project in this forum and especially in the section where he posted it.
    Well spoke, Sir Bob... but I think most people - even those that railed against him - supported his *right* to post, here, but also, others' right to react how they see fit / feel...

I wonder if that will also be met with "nanny state" paranoia about what some idiot with no sense of personal responsibility might do sometime in the future with the information.
    I'd highly doubt-it, for two main reasons: 1. we 'know' you / you've been here much longer, and DEMONSTRATE the importance of safety / safe practices, in your videos - You have shown this by WALKING the walk, and with practically no 'talking the talk' - I think mostly what people chided him for is 'talking the talk' - then not wearing safety goggles / then inflaming that by arguing why 'HE was special' / didn't need them, arguing about the dangers of a pulse, etc. The 'do as I say, not as I do' conflicted-presentation...

How different might the reactions been if he had simply said: 'Hmm, you've all made good points - I should re-do the video, wearing goggles at-least... thanks for the advice..'

#2, You'd do a 'proper job' with a conversion to begin with - (not all held together with electrical tape and with floppy PCBs / wires, etc, especially a project so potentially-dangerous, ) THAT is the way to educate others about how to work safely with dangerous lasers, SHOW them. I'm sure I'd get the same reaction if I posted some flippant 'slapstick video' working inside the passbank of a 270, *live*, with a 10" flat-blade screwdriver, no gloves, sweating profusely, 3-4 rings on my fingers, etc, etc - You get my point, yes? It's not the 'madness' - it's the method.

I'm every bit as concerned about the safe use of laser light and handling of the components that go into lasers, I just think projects like this should be shared and encouraged (with educated comment and criticism) instead of sequestered because of political correctness.
    Again, imo, things could have been much different if he had not decided to take the 'burro'-approach to the reactions and been all '..I'm right, you're all wrong, and that's that...' I think it escalated because he 'went-Allan' on everybody...

Anyhoo, I've spent far too much time on all this, so... Very keen to see your mobile holo-box!

cya
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Original thread wiped, this thread sanitized, poll mangled.

My job here is done.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    Original thread wiped, this thread sanitized, poll mangled.

My job here is done.

I am of the opinion that PL is for artists/engineers looking to engage in conversations about how to do visually interesting things with lasers. Ooohs and Aaahs, not hahaha you're blind now.

What a popcorn fest !! Terra loves popcorn!! What the hell woodya do with a weapon like this ??????? Technically....in a way impressive.....but then again.....so are biological weapons technically impressive !!! But they are for NO GOOD !! Ya know some nutjob on fleabay has somethin like this for sale right now!!! And over on LPF....some schelp lost his 1W+ pointer at the local WalMart !!mmmmm??? To bad he lost it....but what if some 10 year old finds it and proceeds to look down the barrel and say..." is this thing on ?" It is ALMOST comical....until I stop and think about the very bad posibillities !! The world is goin mad !!!!and we are not " beyond the dome ".....YET !!!!
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

I took a gander over at LPF and they are torching him there also. I almost posted over there quoting HomeBrew when he said he posted this on PL with a reply saying, "Not anymore you didn't".. but I refrained myself. I don't want that to be my first post. They have removed the tutorial but still have all his posts and his video up. I wonder if they know he is getting paid when people are watching it. I would assume it would be taken down if they did.