Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Beam Attenuation Map

Well, I know for sure I have TTL lasers and that is what I have selected. This was my first thought was that beam attenuation would not work with a pwm laser.

The only thing that made me second guess myself is that when you are in beam targeting you can vary the brightness of each beam greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey851 View Post
    Well, I know for sure I have TTL lasers and that is what I have selected. This was my first thought was that beam attenuation would not work with a pwm laser.

The only thing that made me second guess myself is that when you are in beam targeting you can vary the brightness of each beam greatly.
    I "think"... That the beam targeting is pulsing your TTL in such a fashion that you lasers will appear to be analog modulated... But I could be wrong.

Yep. There's no way to use BAM's with TTL that I know of as they're either on or off.

I would imagine you could set a 0% zone which is what your experiment suggests, but beyond this you're pretty much stuck as the only way the software could reduce power would be to drop entire colours out to try to reduce power that way except its not set for that so far as I know and to do that would destroy the effect you were projecting.

I'm actually going to have a word with Bill about this as I think its potentially dangerous having options available that don't work.

Good thing you tested it as the rule of thumb with any BAM is always test 1st before exposing yourself, your audience or others to the beams.

Rule 2 is always copy the BAM through ALL zones unless you have a specific reason for not applying it to a zone. That way, no cue can inadvertently avoid the BAM.

I'm glad I tested it out as well.

Hi Folks,

Yes, Whitelight is correct. Obviously if a laser has TTL output, we can't control the brightness of it and make it output half power (unless you use our beam system where, even with TTL lasers, we can "dim" them, but that's a bit of a different story...).

We'll be adding some additional explanatory text to help people to understand that, when they use a TTL laser, they should *really* only use either 100% or 0% settings for the individual pixels. Note that this will make the assuption that people have told QS that they are using a TTL laser in the first place. If they lie to QS, then QS can not give the best advice to the user...

Best regards,

William Benner

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Hi Folks,

Yes, Whitelight is correct. Obviously if a laser has TTL output, we can't control the brightness of it and make it output half power (unless you use our beam system where, even with TTL lasers, we can "dim" them, but that's a bit of a different story...).

We'll be adding some additional explanatory text to help people to understand that, when they use a TTL laser, they should *really* only use either 100% or 0% settings for the individual pixels. Note that this will make the assuption that people have told QS that they are using a TTL laser in the first place. If they lie to QS, then QS can not give the best advice to the user...

Best regards,

William Benner
    That's what I thought....if something is basically either on or off it should be used as such especially when
    dealing with lasers. I was just thrown off by the fact that you could dim the beam in beam targeting; I thought maybe you can modulate them in such a manner that it appears more dim, but even then if the beam entered someones eye it would be at "full power" I presume.

Anyways, thanks for everyone's help.

Does anyone know a way to copy a BAM from one zone to another in QS? I haven't found a way to do this so have been going through the tedious process of re-creating the map on every zone (which leads to inconsistentcies).

Look in the menu. You should find an EDIT menu in the PZ dialog box, and it should have COPY and PASTE menu items.

It's there in BEYOND and I am pretty sure QS too.

Bill