Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beam Attenuation Map

Default Beam Attenuation Map

Has anyone used beam attenuation maps within Pangolin Quickshow? I've tried setting it up just like in LD2000, following the FB3/QS instruction manual closley, but it does not seem to do anything. I can put a big block of 0% in the middle of the map...and when I load up any cues into that zone they show normal, no blacked out box.

We'd really like to use the mapping feature for outdoor shows, and it seems simple enough, but no matter what the beam attenuation map seems to not chnage the output one bit.

Thanks in advance for any programming suggestions.

Yes I've used it around at Jems (our private mini lem) and it works.

BTW Co-incidentally we used a 0% map as well.

Be aware with QS you have to redraw it for every zone individually.

It appears in other zones more dimly, but that's just showing you have a BAM active in the mapping area. If each zone isn't checked for "Enable BAM" and has it drawn individually, then those additional zones aren't active or protected.

Thanks for the reply, that's interesting. I was just testing it out and as using a single zone and do have "Enable BAM" checked, but it seems to do nothing. Does your preview window reflect what it's supposed to look like after applying the BAM?

At first I was just using "show grid in this zone" and not noticing any changes when I edited the BAM, so i thought maybe it wouldn't affect the test grid, is it supposed to?

Don't use the beam attenuation map to protect the audience! Use a physical beam block.

The first version of QS I had set-up with everything on one zone and everything was cool. After installing an updated version all the cues had different zones. Without realizing this I set a attenuation map to block out a DLP projector. Then when I fired up a different cue at full power I zapped the DLP. WTF I was thinking? Took me a minute to figure out it wasn't global. Very expensive mistake. Just think if that had been someones eye.
    Last edited by logsquared; 07-22-2011 at 10:05.

What version of QS are you using?

The very first ones, the BAM's didn't work.

If you haven't already, download the latest QS2 from the Pangolin website.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Definitly not using it to protect the audience! Two things I'd like to do (live concert setting) is be able to map out the drum kit on stage so we don't get errant reflections from symbols and shiny hardware, and to draw in the tree line for outdoor shows so we can have a zone that's flat on the bottom and goes along the trees/bulidings at the top.

I'll have to check which QS we're using...that may be it. I know I've downloaded the latest but perhaps I never insatlled it. We've just gotten back into using QS, I've been so used to livepro and LD2000...

Sorry. Wasn't trying to be presumptuous. Just putting it out there for anyone that may happen on this post. It seem as though there are a lot of builds of QS out there. Many buttons/ features didn't work on my first build. Justin at pangolin has always sorted me out in the past. He usually answers emails quickly as well.

I don't think from memory the BAM shows in the preview window.

On your other questions, you'd do better talking to Jem than me as he actually ran the BAM whilst I watched.

Safest way with a BAM is to do it in EVERY zone. That way if the cues change zones or if there's a cue in a zone you'd forgotten about, there's no problem.

Not sure about quickshow, but LD-2000 has separate settings for the projector and the preview window. See if Quickshow has the same layout. It may be that the BAM is being applied to the output but not the preview window.

Adam