Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Laserharps Pre-order!

Quote Originally Posted by Carl B View Post
    ...just hoping to have the harp ready to show Jem at the next UKLEM at the end of September.
    Hehe...

No pressure then Carl
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Hey Jem

According to the thread for these's kits on LPF there are only five left and this run of kits may be the only run.
    Just thought I'd let you know if your still interested in one for your self.

Carl
    2 x Stanwax Laser 3W RGB's
    2 x OPT 10W RGB
    Pangolin FB3QS + Live Pro
    1.3W Laser Harp

I'm interested Carl. However...

1. I wouldn't have the expertise to assemble one of these myself

2. Funds are a little limited at the moment (can't remember how much they were)

3. I'd like to hold out for something with beam modulation (changes pitch as hand moved up and down in beam)

I figure that if this all works as it should then someone will almost certainly want to improve the circuit. I'm not bothered about being 'first in' on this one, i'll hang around and watch for a while to see how events unfold
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Good news, the PCB's have arrived and look great!

Now to just test them, assemble one myself (On video giving instructions), and ship the lot off to csshih for distribution

Cheers,
    Dan

Thats great news.
    I just need to get the 1W 445 laser sorted out for when the kit arrives.

Carl
    2 x OPT 10W RGB
    1.3W Laser Harp

Indeed, I was very happy when I saw the little box waiting at my door

Here is a pic of the kit of the most part, a few little bits and pieces not in the photo (Like the RGB LED), but you get the idea.

Now need to do my testing, do more documentation and they're gone.

Cheers,
    Dan

Looking fantastic there Dan.

Once the sensor board is snapped off, what's the length of the shorter edges of the main board?

You've done a great job sorting out this kit and thanks for your hard work putting them together.

Carl
    Last edited by Carl B; 08-16-2011 at 02:47.
    2 x OPT 10W RGB
    1.3W Laser Harp

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Is there a spot left in the pre-order kit? I haven't decided yet if I will effectively buy it, but I'm seriously considering. Maybe I'll just wait until the first results drop in...

A few small questions:
    Can you play two or more notes at the same time?
    Is 40 mW green powerful enough? I realize I would probably have to dim the lights at the stage but I plan on being the light-jockey in charge so that shouldn't be a problem. But will the sensors pick it up?
    And: why ten notes and not twelve? Since there are twelve half-notes in an octave, and two more beams shouldn't push the scanners too hard (or will they?).

Also -

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    .... Next, I would also like to plug the box of electrical wizardry into my PC (running Cubase) and have the VST instruments present me with some wonderful sounds each time a beam is interrupted, ...
    Dude, Cubase is outdated. Use Reaper! Seriously, it's much better than Cubase, and much cheaper! ($80 for a discount license which is the same as a pro version only you can't use it to make lots of money). It does everything Cubase does (and better IMO) and has a nice look and interface. Also you don't need to change your mouse every two seconds. Even more, you can download it and use it with an evaluation license for free and unlimited for 30 days, and due to their user policy you can continue to use it after those 30 days (though it is so awesome you'd probably buy it). [/free commercial for Reaper]

Quote Originally Posted by csshih View Post

sadface.

Craig
    That's not a sad face, that's a creepy face! Everyone run before he blows up!
    Last edited by colouredmirrorball; 08-16-2011 at 14:29.

@ colouredmirrorball
    This harp is based on the plans for the harp built by Steven Hobley and that one was capable of polyphonic operation so I would be surprised if this kit isn't capable of playing more than one note at a time.

I think a 40mW laser green would work in a dark room but the sensor gain pot will have to be set quite high which may make the harp more sensitive to other light sources.

If you are planning to buy one then like I told Jem this is looking like the only run of kits that Things intends to do and there are only 4 Kits left according to the LPF thread.

I think 10 beams is about right as when you play a piece of music you would play in a set key that tends to only use 7 of the 12 keys within an Octave, Yes there can be exceptions to this rule. Plus the more beams you have the less space you will have between adjacent beams for your hands unless you run the scanner wider.

Carl
    Last edited by Carl B; 08-17-2011 at 00:03.
    2 x OPT 10W RGB
    1.3W Laser Harp

I believe you may be able to add more beams in the code, I haven't tried but you can always muck around yourself.

Yes, you can play more than 1 note at a time.

40mW will probably work, but you'd want to use something reflective (Like white gloves) and probably a completely dark room.

At this stage, I don't think there may be more. However, if there is enough interest after this lot I might consider it.

Cheers,
    Dan