Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Laserharps Pre-order!

Default Laserharps are here!

laserharps, Laserharps, LASERHARPS!!! (I blame you EVIL)

Order em HERE: http://illuminationsupply.com/laser-harp-kit-p-72.html

These kits were crafted by member "Things" over on LPF - he knows his stuff!

here are a couple vids of some prototypes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHsk5Mbtfd8

Ever wanted to create your own frameless laser harp? The frameless laser harp was originally conceived by Jean Michel Jarre, and has been used countless times in his performances. Frameless laser harps differ from framed harps in that they do not require anything overhead to detect the beams; everything is placed on the floor. This allows you to get creative with the beams overhead (Maybe using mirrors to bounce them over the audiences heads), and does not require expensive trussing or alignment.

These kits contain all the components for the laser harp circuitry, just connect a laser, a galvanometer scanner, and dress it up with a case.
    Features:

- Professional dual layer PCBs
    - All electronic components included, right down to MIDI sockets, plugs and LCD.
    - High quality DAC
    - 3 high quality light sensors for better performance
    - 3 programmable MIDI note banks with an RGB LED indicator
    - Detailed instruction manual and construction video included
    - Includes sockets for fast connections to the PCB
    - On board microcontroller
    To complete a laser harp, you will require:
    - A laser with modulation capabilities (TTL is sufficient)
    - A single laser scanning galvanometer and its associated amp board (Usually sold in pairs)
    - A dual rail power supply. Usually the galvanometer power supply is used. Max of +/- 24 Volts (+/-15 and +/- 24V galvanometer power supplies are common)
    - 2 switches of your choice. Use foot pedals for easy operation on stage.
    - Some general electrical test equipment. An oscilloscope is handy; however you should be able to get through without one.
    You will also require either a MIDI-USB adapter, or a MIDI device.
    (An Arduino or a FT232 serial breakout is needed if you wish to reprogram the note banks, however this is not necessary)

Please be aware, due to the nature of the laser harp, being hit by the laser beam directly (including in the face) is almost a given. Please use gloves if you intend on using a high powered laser, and goggles with a suitable OD rating if using lasers over 5mW.

Remember all : Safety is Key to a fun performance!

Order here: http://illuminationsupply.com/laser-harp-kit-p-72.html
    I'm expecting everything to come in about 3 weeks.

Craig

PS: ah, yeah, shipping. 5$ for CONUS, 13$ for international (small flat rate box)
    Last edited by csshih; 02-01-2012 at 01:38.

Can you explain what all is needed by the purchaser to get a kit fully functional; single laser and RGB. Just curious at this stage but I've been wanting one of these for a while. Might have to dig though the pile of "crap" behind me for an eBay sale.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

This current run only has 1 laser output, however if you're up for doing a bit of modding/coding yourself you could add other lasers. I may add this to the next batch, may not, it depends on what kind of interest I get in this lot. You can use any colour laser you want.

Basically, you'll require:

- A MIDI capable device - Such as a keyboard, or a USB-MIDI
    - A TTL modulatable laser (analog works fine too, it just doesn't need analog)
    - 2 momentary switches of your choice (And pullup resistors, say 10K). I didn't include these because it changes depending on what you're planning to use this for. Footswitches are a good choice if you want to open and close the harp subtly on stage
    - A single galvo and it's amp, as well as the power supply. The galvo power supply will also power the laser harp board.
    - If you wish to change the MIDI note banks, you will need a FT232 serial breakout or an Arduino to reprogram the microcontroller.
    - A case, obviously
    - Some general wire for connecting everything up. Ribbon cable works great for connecting devices such as the LCD screen - connectors/sockets to connect to the board are included

A little electronics experience would also be good. I'm aiming to make the instructions as clear as possible, though being able to diagnose problems will help greatly. That being said, you shouldn't require anything more than a DMM for setting it up.

Cheers,
    Dan
    Last edited by Things; 02-01-2012 at 01:38.

That would be so BAD ARSH with my E-MU Orbit or Planet Phatt!

DARN YOU PL FORUM!!! More stuff to save $$$ up of... *shrug*

"If you wish to change the MIDI note banks, you will need a FT232 serial breakout or an Arduino to reprogram the microcontroller." - yes my quote skills suck!

Not really, you can pick up a old Moto midi time piece and it will allow you to change incoming midi notes to a different out going midi note.

That or use software.

But the Moto works good, I used it to shift up a octave from 1 Orbit to the other Orbit.

But finding the manual for the older Moto gear is a bitch!

Quote Originally Posted by Things View Post
    - If you wish to change the MIDI note banks, you will need a FT232 serial breakout or an Arduino to reprogram the microcontroller.
    Hi Dan

I have put in my order for one of your kits but was wondering can you preprogram the three MIDI banks to my requirements before dispatch if I provide you with the MIDI note numbers info for each bank?

Also can you tell us what MIDI channel dose the harp transmit on and what is the note velocity set to.

Really looking forward to receiving this kit as I have a two week holiday coming up in two weeks time so may have a good amount of time to build it.

Carl
    Last edited by Carl B; 07-23-2011 at 14:21.
    2 x Stanwax Laser 3W RGB's
    2 x OPT 10W RGB
    Pangolin FB3QS + Live Pro
    1.3W Laser Harp

@PR

That is also an option, doing it in software/external hardware.

@Carl B

I can set the note banks for you if you want.

IIRC, the channel is just 1 and the note velocity is 45. Not exactly sure on that yet, but it sounds right.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Fifteen characters... apparently red doesn't count.

Quote Originally Posted by Things View Post
    Basically, you'll require:

- A MIDI capable device - Such as a keyboard, or a USB-MIDI Will a Novation Remote Zero work or do you actually need a keyboard? -

A TTL modulatable laser (analog works fine too, it just doesn't need analog) - OK

2 momentary switches of your choice (And pullup resistors, say 10K). I didn't include these because it changes depending on what you're planning to use this for. Footswitches are a good choice if you want to open and close the harp subtly on stage OK

A single galvo and it's amp, as well as the power supply. The galvo power supply will also power the laser harp board.Does it matter X or Y? Or rated scan speed?

- A case, obviously
    - Some general wire for connecting everything up. Ribbon cable works great for connecting devices such as the LCD screen How many conductor and what length?- connectors/sockets to connect to the board are included

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Fifteen characters... apparently red doesn't count.

@Bradfo69

Any device that takes MIDI signals and does something with them will work. You could use the laser harp to control Quickshow if you wanted

The code is designed for 20-30Kpps galvos. You can use slower if you want, but you'd need to change the scan rate.

The LCD needs 8 conductors, length is whatever it takes to mount it where you want in your case.