Thread: Blu-Ray cheeper Blue DPSS?

Default Blu-Ray cheeper Blue DPSS?

Simple question. Does Blu-Ray disks coming about mean it will drive down Blue DPSS lasers? Especially when Blu-Ray burners come out.

Default Blu-ray vs DPSS blue

Simple answer: No.

Blu-Ray lasers lase at 405 nm, which is just about at the limits of human vision. It will appear *many* times dimmer than the same power at, say, 457 nm. (The output from a blu-ray diode is really almost UV, not blue at all...)

So, even if you could eventually buy a 100 mw blu-ray diode for something like $1000, you'd still be better of with just 30 mw of DPSS blue!

Adam

Default wow

well that sucks! Oh well

Default Re: DPSS vs blu-ray

Quote Originally Posted by DjDevNull
    well that sucks!
    Yeah, pretty much. Solid state blue is going to be expensive for a while yet...

anyone seen the blues that arctos are making ? based on violet diodes........ similar concept to their red diodes... except blue (or violet).

In reality, the colours you get from mixing this with green and red look nice but they are very dim...
    Now proudly stocking and offering the best deals on laser-wave

www.lasershowparts.com
    http://stores.ebay.com.au/Lasershow-Parts

Quote Originally Posted by DjDevNull
    That's funny, buch of ignorant fools, but funny none the less... Or are we just geeks... :roll: I wouldn't spend $2000, but it's still kinda cool. 8)
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

What is even funnier is that it looks like that top post was posted by me

So guess that there must be another laserlikey with the same name as me .... or some one is posting under my name

All the best .... Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Banthai
    What is even funnier is that it looks like that top post was posted by me

So guess that there must be another laserlikey with the same name as me .... or some one is posting under my name

All the best .... Karl
    Awww man... I didn't mean you... they weren't all ignorant, just most of the responses I looked at... MAinly about WL using this as an advertisement... :roll:

There IS an interesting area of 14U, the one who, to me, it looks like posted the first article... Gadget models.... http://gadgetmodels.i4u.com/

Doesn't change the fact that 405 nm light (ie: blu-ray) is going to be darned near invisible to the human eye when compared to the 473 nm blue of a dpss unit. A 20 mw blu-ray diode isn't going to be anywhere near as impressive as a 5 mw dpss blue.

I think I'll wait 'till dpss blue's come down in price. Or just bite the bullet and build a big, honkin' projector to house a large frame argon laser. If you select just the 456 nm line, you'll have one hell of a deep blue that is still fairly visible to the human eye. (Yeah, you'll be wasting 90% of the beam, but who cares?) Or you could take all the blue lines up through 488nm and end up with a really bright source of blue (up to 50% of the total output of the Argon). Of course, your color balance would suck, but hey - you can't have everything!

Adam