Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retuning a DPSS laser module

Default Retuning a DPSS laser module

Hello everyone,

My laser module is unproperly tuned (DPSS) and it's outputting 50mw instead of 200mw.
    So I have a question about how to obtain info about tuning a laser module (with TEC cooling).
    There are 2 pot meters I heard, one controls tec cooling and the other one align's the crystal? (not sure about that last thing)
    I'm already asking mccarrot about the spec sheet what the pot meters are.
    But what tools do i need to use while tuning.
    What measures should I keep an eye out?

Sorry for asking I might not have done enough research, but a slight push in the right direction is always nice
    I will take the time to read off course.

Thanks guys!

Best regards,

Pieter

You will need to let me see a pic of the inside of the driver board....or if it is a well known laser brand. If it only has two trimmer pots...I would expect one to be current to the diode and the other TEC temperature to cool the diode.
    Let me know.....ME3
    A pair of temperature probes will be needed to perform the tuning with a lot of time available to tune properly....max performance is not the goal as this will usually destroy the modulation abilities without jelly beaning.....in scanned lines. Pump power input levels vary so much at that point the SHG will not quickly accept the mode volume changes that rapidly......or install a larger crystal set.
    On another note check to make sure that you have near 5 v on the modulation inputs before you go tuning....check with a scope....miltimeter will not read DAC outputs at his level needed to be seen with a lot of DAC's.
    Last edited by MechEng3; 07-24-2011 at 04:04.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Ok will do!
    Pics coming up !

If you need better pictures.
    Please let me know
    The middle module is a blue module.
    The driver board appears to be all in the upper right.
    Green is on the left and a dual red is located left from the blue module.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0255.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	2.07 MB 
ID:	26117Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0256.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	2.46 MB 
ID:	26118Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0257.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	26119Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0258.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	2.81 MB 
ID:	26120

The driver in pic 1 and 3 is a CNI type driver....this is the one for the 532nm?????
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

yes it is
    (15 chars)

OK let me try and get you the trimmer allocations and functions...one minute please............

Helpful diagrams and warnings of IR eye hazards sent.......Be Careful....God provides only one pair of eyes.
    Please do not share this information.....and taking the laser head apart to make direct contact with the diode and crystal set will be needed to correctly set this, being careful with ESD precautions in mind all the time here. You could make small adjustments as I sent info on without taking the laser apart. You will need a laser power meter as well. I would contact Stanwax {Rob} if this does not gain results......he is closer to you. If not you could just replace the laser and have a spare when repaired.
    Last edited by MechEng3; 07-24-2011 at 05:48.

i had a cni do that to me once found out it was that dumb power connector they use, as when poking around with it the power when back up.
    i also noticed the socket got warm even though there was a good connection, turned out there was somthing in the black plastic mix that allowed it to partially conduct ??
    any way i removed said socket, and hard wired driver to power supply never had a problem again
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

Didn't i told you yesterday I have a decription how to tune and which pot to turn?

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ght=Cni+tuning
    Last edited by mccarrot; 07-24-2011 at 11:28.