Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modulating a constant current driver

Question Modulating a constant current driver

For years I've been using CW drivers and have never needed to modulate one... until now. It needs to support a modulation frequency of up to 10kHz, as well as a variable pulse width. While the venerable DDL (Daedal) driver - virtually world famous and ubiquitous - is great, I am not sure about how well it would take to being wiggled at 10kHz.

I have attached a schematic of a simple two-transistor circuit that functions as a constant current regulator, and is modulatable. Theoretically. I'm going to be using the PHR diodes on this - I only need about 200mW output in the 635nm region.

Can those of you with greater experience with the intricacies of LD driving take a quick look and let me know if I'm headed down the right path, or am I doomed to cooking my LDs with this circuit?

The source will be battery, 6V, probably 4 x AA cells. I will not be driving the diode at max CW, probably somewhere about 80% max I at most.

I will probably also be using 2N2222As instead of the BC547s, since the 547s have a max Ic of 100ma, and the 2222s have a max Ic of 600ma, which can support the 220ma drive current for which I am designing.

Thanks for your wisdom and help!

Dave

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Modulatable constant current 1a.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	26187
    Last edited by xanatos; 07-26-2011 at 11:19.
    Awareness, Perception, Intent.

Daedal has another driver for loc reds that modulates very well. I have 2 or 3 sitting here with me; unfortunatly the red diodes attached to them died...
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Not sure if the fact that the diodes attached to them died makes for a very impressive testimonial! :-) Is the Daedal driver you reference a public-domain schematic as was the original, or is it something being marketed and therefore not available as a schematic?

My diodes died because of me. There were not protected by LASOBs and I connected the modulation signal wrong on one and the second got grounded badly while I was moving it... I do not think it is available by schematic but you'd have to ask him.

Glad to hear the circuit wasn't the issue! Sorry the diodes died, though!

I'll contact Daedal direct, thanks for the lead.

Dave

pretty sure the flexmod3 is good to 100khz or something stupid high

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    There were not protected by LASOBs
    Ok, it is bugging me, and I have to ask this noob question. But what the heck is this LASOBs and what is the application of this device?.

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    FNG's......... Yup going to need a few of them lasorb's around....

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    pretty sure the flexmod3 is good to 100khz or something stupid high
    The FlexMod3 is probably your best option as I am not sure if Mo is still building anything, although he may provide you with the drawings to build your own. drlava has the Flexmods in stock now though and it provides a lot more power compared to the loc driver from Mo.