Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pink Floyd Project

Default Pink Floyd Project

Hi All,

I am asked by a Dutch Pink Floyd tribute band to do their lasers.
    Have already got livepro, a Novation SLII and QM2000.net , 2 FB3's , Quickshow and Beyond.
    Is there someone that did something similar and maybe wants to share some cues or something ?

They are playing the Pulse tour, 5 shows for 2000 people on average, supposedly they're very good.
    Hope someone can help me out. Show is 3 September.

Kind regards,
    Dimitri
    I didn't fail !
    I just found out 10,000 ways that didn't work.

Congrats!
    Sounds like it might be an opportunity to make some decent money with your lasers!!

With that in mind, you might want to think about actually investing in some Pink Floyd laser shows.
    FirstLight Laser has several:
    http://www.firstlight-laser.com/library.html

Also, you should have at least 2 Pink Floyd shows on your LD2000 disk set.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Whoa, Dimmers!, Nice One

That sounds cool, Pink Floyd music and Lasers, it's a match made in Heaven
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Hi Dimmers. You may want to speak to Rob as he has done at least one show I know of for a PF tribute band. He may be able to give you some pointers and idea's for your gig.

Carl
    2 x Stanwax Laser 3W RGB's
    2 x OPT 10W RGB
    Pangolin FB3QS + Live Pro
    1.3W Laser Harp

Hi, I do shows for a UK Floyd tribute act.

Not that I want to tell you your job - but sharing cues is a poor idea. The best idea is to coordinate with both the band and their lighting engineer because they will have issues such as colour coordination, making sure your effects don't get drowned out by stage lights, not blotting out their projections with beams, and generally building a balanced show.

I've used a combination of the standard QS workspace cues, some modified ones (all adjusted for sync with the music) and a few originals for my own shows. After about 5 gigs we are starting to converge on a set where everybody gets a chance to shine without looking over-the-top or stealing the limelight :-)

ETA: beam show or graphics?
    Last edited by smokeAndMirrors; 07-29-2011 at 11:38.

Dear all thanks for suggestions.
    I do appreciate all the advice, also when i was in the UK with Rob last month he explained i could beter do live cues instead of pre-programmed shows. Sometimes when the mood is right the musicians make a solo a little longer etc.
    When you use a pre-programmed show the show is out of sync.
    I am not after graphic shows, they even have their own professional VJ that does projections.
    Don't want to steal anyones shine moment away, so let the vj do her (yes her!) stuff and i will do beams.
    The Lightning guy already agreed to make moments for each to do their thing..... that's cool.

So basically i am looking for the simple looking but sometimes cool effects of 2 beams moving slowly above the audience... etc
    I would like to use QM with livepro or beyond with 2 FB's (green and rgb).

Anymore suggestions are more then welcome and thanks guys for the tips so far....
    And would be lovely to have some simple cues i can futher modify for this show. Not that i'm lazy but help is appreciated for something so important ;-)
    I didn't fail !
    I just found out 10,000 ways that didn't work.

Here's some shots of my recent show: http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...16th-June-2011

Inspiration, plagiarism, whatever :-)

I did a small show for a Pink Floyd tribute band a while back; was really good fun to just to lay back and fiddle about with LivePro with some slow effects; that seemed to work ok. Had one man and his wife at the end come up to us and congratulate saying that he spent the whole time staring at the lasers and not the band!

@Dimmers - best of luck with your show.
    Just do it live; no stress, know your way around the Novation, and throw any cues up that feel right.
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Pardon me if I'm a little early with this comment...

I hope you are planning on bringing back some pics at least, and preferably a bit of video for "quality assurance inspection" by an international group of peers.

I figure if the request goes in early enough you will be able to plan where the best angle(s) are for capturing some of the event.
    I envy your position though...I can't think of a better accompaniment to some fine laser beam show than classic "Floyd" music. You have watched the DVD of the actual concert footage several times for a few reference ideas I hope. (Yeah, I went to the concert when it came through the West years back. It was a good show !)

Good luck with it all. I'll be waiting for the pics come October.