Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: SELEM V suggestion box.

Default SELEM V suggestion box.

Here is part of a PM from me(hak) and the response from Buffo......

quote--- "would it be OK to do some small shows especially lumina in the big room that serves as our dining room? First timer projector owners (like me) may feel a little intiminated by the high techness of the super pros in the auditorium. No fog or high volumne music. An old movie screen would make total darkness unnecessary for good viewing of lumina and animation/spiro etc."----len

" That's a very good idea. I like it! We can certainly set something like that up. Please start a thread in the Meet and Greet sub-forum about it. (Call it "secondary laser display area", or something. There is a perfect area for this in the lobby near the front (it's where DrLava was demoing some stuff at one point, and also where Austin Willing had his projector set up for a while.) We can even set up a small PA system (nothing too loud) so you'll have a little music if you need it.

Adam

Seems to me that thsi is usable space that is not being fully utilized.

The BS&T room was full and the hallway got lots of use as well. But except for a few , the 'dining area' ,was, after all eating was over not being put to great use.

Please chime in--TY>(*U*)< hak

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

if i can figure out how to get there, i'd love to show off my lumia eggbeater. it was a pretty big hit at socalem.

Quote Originally Posted by hakzaw1 View Post
    Here is part of a PM from me(hak) and the response from Buffo......

quote--- "would it be OK to do some small shows especially lumina in the big room that serves as our dining room? First timer projector owners (like me) may feel a little intiminated by the high techness of the super pros in the auditorium. No fog or high volumne music. An old movie screen would make total darkness unnecessary for good viewing of lumina and animation/spiro etc."----len

" That's a very good idea. I like it! We can certainly set something like that up. Please start a thread in the Meet and Greet sub-forum about it. (Call it "secondary laser display area", or something. There is a perfect area for this in the lobby near the front (it's where DrLava was demoing some stuff at one point, and also where Austin Willing had his projector set up for a while.) We can even set up a small PA system (nothing too loud) so you'll have a little music if you need it.

Adam

Seems to me that thsi is usable space that is not being fully utilized.

The BS&T room was full and the hallway got lots of use as well. But except for a few , the 'dining area' ,was, after all eating was over not being put to great use.

Please chime in--TY>(*U*)< hak
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

It would be great to set up in there again. I was planning on demoing the Kinect with LaserCam, if possible. Should make for some fun times as people walk by and interact.

Laser Police!!!

The way I see it,,, there are no rules where projectors are located at SELEM given you don't have a Laserscope or a CVL burning a hole in the wall, you are not scanning outside one of the windows or basically doing anything hazardous or stupid.... If there is an outlet,,, Use it! When in doubt, clear it with Buffo.

I liked having the projectors in the dining room. I think coherent photons should be visible from every room!

I say we should have lumia projectors wherever possible throughout the venue

but ya I liked how last year people were working on their projectors in the dining area... got a chance to peek at what other people were doing and it kept the stage clear

Thumbs up Good idea!

Thanks for suggesting this, Len!

I agree that having lumia projectors (or other cool demos, like the lasercam-kinect fusion that Andrew mentioned) running in the lobby is a great way to expand the event. Not everyone will be in the auditorium all the time, and it's fun to be able to inspect someone's hardware and ask questions about how it was built.

So yeah, if anyone wants to set up a projector in the lobby, go ahead and do it. Just be sure that no beams can exit the building (through a door or a window), and try to keep the beams out of the main traffic areas so people don't have to walk through your projection field.

Adam

Sunlight's nice and all, but I wonder if we should consider blacking out the windows in the lobby. If we did, the whole lobby would become quite laser-friendly.

If not, we could partially black them out to bring the light level down a bit.

- Jonathan

so we could all be eating in the moon... err... laser light, sounds geeky

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    so we could all be eating in the moon... err... laser light, sounds geeky
    Good point. Too bad there would be no way to make these sheets of plastic temporarily removable or some such thing.

- J

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

big sheets of foam core and gaffers tape?

Quote Originally Posted by platinum View Post
    Sunlight's nice and all, but I wonder if we should consider blacking out the windows in the lobby. If we did, the whole lobby would become quite laser-friendly.

If not, we could partially black them out to bring the light level down a bit.

- Jonathan
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.