Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 watt 808nm c-mount diode

Default 4 watt 808nm c-mount diode

i brought a 4 watt 808nm diode off of ebay from a company called junktronix. the plan was to put it
    in my blue dpss laser as the diode in there had burnt out/stopped working. any way i have installed the
    new 808nm diode put power on it and am getting a dull red beam from the diode an nothing after the crystals,
    i guessing this is because the wavelenght of the pump diode isn't 808nm? should the pump diode hae a red beam?

chers dean

Can you tell us more about your experience with laser ?

very little. in fact done really that would be worth mention. just thought i would have a go at fixing it has it was broke and i had nothing to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by ockwell1980 View Post
    i had nothing to lose.
    you can just lose an eye or two....just take 4W 808nm is very very dangerous !!!
    First, do you own infrared goggles ? if, no, and because of you "non experience"....just do a call if anyone near you can fix it for you. (friend advice)

I really really hope it's not too late for your eyes... :-(

Ouch! 4W of invisible energy bouncing around there can't be good.

yeah i have some ir safety glasses. thanks for your concern. i did consider not using any but after a quick read through the
    forum realised how much of a bad idea that would of been. think i may just see if any local can help me as it seems like this really
    is a difficult job for someone with no experience.

cheers dean

junktronix is a member here and might be able to provide some help although he is not a frequent poster. There are several members who have performed the same repair you are trying. MechEng3 is probably the best person to respond that I can think of. This is the right place to ask.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Aligning the lenses for the pump diode is a bit tricky (especially since you can't see the beam, though a webcam can help in this case). If you've never done this sort of thing before, then definitely ask someone local to you for assistance. They can show you how to do it safely.

Your profile information isn't filled out. Where are you located? (People can't offer to help if they don't know where you are...)

Adam

Any reason you didn't contact me directly? All the laser didoes I sell are warrantied for power and wavelength. I test each and every one before shipping.

As others have mentioned, alignment is critical and often difficult since things tend to be epoxied in place once aligned so the replacement diode needs to be mounted within a few microns of where the original was.

Did you check if the original diode had a FAC lens installed? The 4W diodes I sell do not have this lens.

Once you have everything aligned perfectly, you'll still need to adjust the temperature of the pump diode to get peak efficiency.

I did not want to contact you as I have very little knowledge
    with lasers, so thought I would ask here first and from what people
    have told me it was my not knowing what I was doing to was the problem.
    Sorry if I have offended you with my original post.

Cheers dean