Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: USB extender (over IP)

Belkin
    Facepalm , you were warned
    If i were you find a set of usb 2.0 extenders
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

Belkin
    Facepalm , you were warned
    If i were you find a set of usb 2.0 extenders
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    Well I tried a set of USB over Cat5 extenders, it works spasmodically, due I am sure to the USB 1.1 limitation.
    Hmm, works OK for me. Out of interest, did you try with a powered USB hub at the receiving side?

Quote Originally Posted by taggalucci View Post
    Hmm, works OK for me. Out of interest, did you try with a powered USB hub at the receiving side?
    Yep. also tried just a short 5M cat5 cable. For some reason my FB3 does not like USB1.1 ! As I mentioned before, in QS, HW Info reveales 41mbps of 480mbps utilised....
    This space for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    Yep. also tried just a short 5M cat5 cable. For some reason my FB3 does not like USB1.1 ! As I mentioned before, in QS, HW Info reveales 41mbps of 480mbps utilised....
    if you got 41mbps bieng used, there must be somthing going on with your usb chipset
    the fb3 just dont use that much, mine only uses <9mbps and the belkin hated that,
    i found that when looking for a network usb gismo
    you got to watch when they state that is usb 2.0 it does not mean that its going to run at 480mbps
    like the belkin for example , struggles at 10mbps with some items
    do you not have another pc you can try your fb3 on ?? and see what that reports for usage.

Quote Originally Posted by badger1666 View Post
    if you got 41mbps bieng used, there must be somthing going on with your usb chipset
    the fb3 just dont use that much, mine only uses <9mbps and the belkin hated that,
    i found that when looking for a network usb gismo
    you got to watch when they state that is usb 2.0 it does not mean that its going to run at 480mbps
    like the belkin for example , struggles at 10mbps with some items
    do you not have another pc you can try your fb3 on ?? and see what that reports for usage.
    Cool. I didn't end up going out to buy the Belkin luckily, instead I decided to make an e-stop enclosure.

Will re-check my FB3 on another PC.
    This space for rent.

Searching for yet another product that extends USB is proving difficult. I don't want to blow any more $$$ on something that "might" work.

What is a good price on ILDA cables? This one is US82.50 for 30M. http://cgi.ebay.com/ILDA-extension-c...item2c5b53c870

What are the losses joining 2 such cables and is it noticable?

<Why oh why did Pangolin use USB on the FB3?>

Cheers.
    This space for rent.

i have seen these used at more than 100m lengths ,losses should not be that great, some use dans briggs buffy board on the end
    to buffer up the signal a bit on longer runs, you must have a pc cable supplier in aus that sell these.
    i got mine off amazon it does not have to say ilda on it, its just same as printer cable extension

Quote Originally Posted by badger1666 View Post
    i have seen these used at more than 100m lengths ,losses should not be that great, some use dans briggs buffy board on the end
    to buffer up the signal a bit on longer runs, you must have a pc cable supplier in aus that sell these.
    i got mine off amazon it does not have to say ilda on it, its just same as printer cable extension
    Thanks man. Standard printer D25-D25 use an overall shield. I would have thought separate screens for each X,Y, R,G, B would have been better to reduce crosstalk?

Currently I am using one said D25 cable, but it's only 1.8M long!
    This space for rent.

i use a 30m d25 at home and the uk meets with out any issues
    most of the guys just buy a 50m/100m rolls of multi core cable and put thier own 25dsub's on the end
    cant say they use shielded pairs though as that cable get to bulky