Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mini OEM laser projection in a cellphone?

For laser tv, have a look at this article. They can do more then you would expect.
    http://lfw.pennnet.com/articles/arti...aser%20tv&p=12

Oh yeah, you need to register to read the article.

i did not have to register to read it

Was pretty cool..
    But I still dont think that a laser TV will be used anyplace else than Las-Vegas and maybe NY street...

Quote Originally Posted by liteglow
    i did not have to register to read it

Was pretty cool..
    But I still dont think that a laser TV will be used anyplace else than Las-Vegas and maybe NY street...
    That's what they said about plasma and LCD few years ago. 8)

hehe sweet

And BTW; Welcome to the forum
    And Enjoy your stay here with the rest of the ppl.

I wonder what the blanking needs of these lasers would be?.

Assuming an image with a 24 FPS refresh, and a frame with 300 lines, and a 10 KHz laser, that would be good for only two points per line. Not a good resolution at all.

So, in all, we are talking MHz blanking for the lasers. I don't see that happening with such portable lasers. But, could it be done? or am I missing something here?
    Remember the future?, That'd today, as you imagined it yesterday.

The blanking frequency limit is a fuction of the power supply, not the laser itself.

There are off-the-shelf DPSS power supplies that can accurately modulate the pump diode up to 2 MHz - they even show up on E-bay from time to time. (Astroguy bought one about a month ago for $50; he hooked up two red DVD diode lasers to it and it works great...)

More high-end supplies can get you up into the 100Mhz range, but they cost a lot more... So it is possible to blank a laser fast enough for this sort of "laser TV" display to work. You just need the right power supply design.

In fact, I've got a circuit board that will fit inside a laser pointer case that is capable of delivering up to 1 amp of current, and supports both TTL and analog blanking all the way to 100 KHz. I paid $38 for it on E-bay, though I haven't actually put it to use yet...

The problem with the lasers we're buying for our projectors is that the manufacturers are building the power supplies on the cheap. It isn't that much more expensive to support blanking to, say 50Khz, which would be more than enough for a laser show... But they try to save money everywhere, and we suffer because of it. (I know - It sucks...)

Adam