Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini OEM laser projection in a cellphone?

Default Mini OEM laser projection in a cellphone?

wow maybe this will drive down some prices :-D

http://www.symbol.com/LPD/

CDRH Class II? How are they getting enough brightness to see it then? And how are they scanning it fast enough to get SVGA resolutions?

I dunno, it looks like vaporware. I can't imagine it being that small and still have the ability to project an image that would be viewable in normal light.

Adam

Interesting...But 10 lumens is NOT very bright

I'd have to see this in person
    "My signature has been taken, so Insert another here"
    http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/laserfaq.htm
    *^_^* aka PhiloUHF

The white paper was a very interesting read.

http://www.symbol.com/assets/files/WP-LPD.pdf

They directly modulate the red and blue semiconductor lasers, however, they use the typical dpss for green and instead of direct modulation they actually fit an AOM in the tiny device. Very nicely engineered small package. Though the output would indeed be extrememly limited to viewing in dark rooms. My guess is that it will just be a fad. Everyone will have to have it, even though you get a much brighter, clearer image on the color lcd on your phone!

David

Im with Buffo, its probably vapor ware.

Seriously: look at the image: how do you project "black" from a laser source...

a 10Watt Luxeon Star will do the job better than this laser
    and much more cheaper i guess...

I agree, the image is a good bit misleading. Would make you believe that it would look that great in a totally lit environment. Which is why it would only be effective in a very dark room, perhaps with an image size of about 1 foot square, if that even. Might work well for a small tv, however I think the LCD tv's would be a much better buy no matter how inexpensive they might make a laser tv in the future. Simply because of the introduction of moving parts. Whereas in an lcd tv the only moving part you have is a fan, not a precisely calibrated scan head plus beam alignments. I'm sure some folks would buy into it with thier creative marketing schemes....

David

The image is a total photoshop job. But I have no doubt this thing exists. (read the white paper for a picture of the guts)

In the words of my boss, though... "15-20 lumens for 5w power consumption -- yuck."

is it not possible to project a TV from a luxeon LED (120lumen) and into a tiny LCD that make the TV ! then focus it on the wall ?

I think it sounds like a nice idea...

Quote Originally Posted by liteglow
    is it not possible to project a TV from a luxeon LED (120lumen) and into a tiny LCD that make the TV ! then focus it on the wall ?

I think it sounds like a nice idea...
    I figure the problem would be focusing the light to produce sharp images. But for small crowds and dark settings, I think it may work.
    Remember the future?, That'd today, as you imagined it yesterday.