Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FB3 Preferences

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Default FB3 Preferences

After waiting 1 day shy of 11 months, my FB3 arrived in the mail yesterday. (Long story.) All this time, collecting shows.... finding music... watching demos.... and I tear open the package thinking I was gonna be able to hook it up to the projector and go. I then learn the difference between the XE and SE version. I have the XE... which now, I'm a little pissed about because turns out I need a separate power supply etc. Thought these were simply USB powered like other DAC's but, apparently that's only the SE version. Before I decide to sell the damn thing and look for an SE, is there any real advantage I'm missing to the XE versus the SE? Apparently the XE was designed to be built into the projector which, I have since found out, is a stupid idea due to the inability to carry signals over USB more than a limited number of feet. Anybody got a compelling arguement? Which model is in more demand?

Grrr....

probably the FB3-QS??

If it is in a box it is an XE, if it's a bare board, its an SE. Both can run on USB power as they are the basically the same board.
    There is a small pair of holes which need to be bridged in order to run on USB power. The best solution is to add a pin header and you can switch on/off usb functionality with a jumper as needed.

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...t=powering+fb3

But I think the QS is neater unit, although it doesn't have an SD card or option to have a DMX input (which may or may not affect you)
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

From what I have seen both the SE and XE are sold without an enclosure; we only have the SEs at the office currently. The QS is the only one I have seen with an enclosure. Norty is correct about the pin holes to be jumped for USB power; it is how we test them. You may want to see what it will take to swap the unit out for a QS model if you don't want to try to build an enclosure yourself. If you have any problems hit me up and I'll see if I can assist.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Brad -

There SHOULD be a label on the FB3 somewhere that tells exactly which version it is.
    Hmm - Any chance you wound up with an XE version without an enclosure?

The SE (which I have) is actually a version designed for installation in a projector, but can be put in its own enclosure, as well.
    It has provisions for adding an (optional) DMX card to control playback of cues stored in its on-board memory card, or can be controlled via USB like any other (newer version) FB3.

There's a few different ways to power it:
    External power supply, USB power via a 2nd USB cable to the computer (essentially the same as an external power supply; the is the quick "field fix" mine is using right now), OR -
    you can mod the board with a simple jumper connection so the FB3 will use the primary USB connection as the power source.

If you need to go that route, PM me -
    I have a photo of my board that was labeled by some guy named Bill at Pangolin that shows exactly where to make the jumper connection...

EDIT
    Or, since Andy beat me to it - see his photo!!

As far as which one to get -
    The SE was the only version that was available when I bought mine back in '07 - at that time, enclosures weren't available.
    If I were buying NEW now, I would definitely buy a QS package.
    However, provided you can get the power and enclosures issues addressed, I wouldn't dump the SE!!

About the only difference, from a performance capability standpoint, is that the FB3-SE could have the DMX input option to control pre-stored frames-
    all the versions essentially work the same when controlled via USB and computer.
    With all the capabilities now available in QuickShow, I think DMX input directly to the FB3 is probably a moot point for many users, IMHO...
    Last edited by Stuka; 08-06-2011 at 09:50.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

From what I have seen both the SE and XE are sold without an enclosure
    As I understand it, the SE is the bare board, with a number of options you can have (DMX daughterboard, differential board, etc) and the XE was Pangolins response to people asking for one in an enclosure. Its basically an SE in a Pangolin box.
    Frikkin Lasers

Also, is it right that Andy's version is a very early one without the holes, which is why it's bridged where it is?

This is my SE from a few years back

Frikkin Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Also, is it right that Andy's version is a very early one without the holes, which is why it's bridged where it is?

Where you have it circled is where we put a jumper to use USB power for testing.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post

This is my SE from a few years back

I believe you are correct -
    My board ('07 model) looks just like Andy's, and that is the location Bill said to bridge for USB power.

He also sent the reminder to disconnect any external power connections if making this mod, so you don't create issues with two power sources to one card...
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....