Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: New 4 Channel Highside driver

Quote Originally Posted by blowfly View Post
    Sounds too good to be true.
    I don't understand why you might think that, this is the usual behaviour of the types of drivers we see here on PL. I have this very driver from Badpip and it works as described.

Quote Originally Posted by blowfly View Post
    It is ok to use the diode with this board to to determine the threshold current? I was wondering if it would hurt to turn the bias is low, then connect the diode, and then slowly turn the bias up until the diode lights up? Or is there a better way to determine current threshold?
    Yes you can. This is a good way to determine the threshold current (along with a test meter etc).

Hey Sir Baddie...

Nice-lookin board, ya got there.. - a question - for, say, a 'bank' of 10x 445'ers... 2x of these 'quad's, correct? That-is, if, you wanted to run each diode at 1.1.25A..

Please confirm; might be interested in testing a couple of these pups-out..
    cheers.

j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    Nice-lookin board, ya got there.. - a question - for, say, a 'bank' of 10x 445'ers... 2x of these 'quad's, correct? That-is, if, you wanted to run each diode at 1.1.25A..
    Hi Jon,

That depends on how you hook it up - 10 diodes on 8 channels could be done with 6 channels driving a single diode each, and the last two channels driving two diodes in parallel (or series).

Each channel is a totally independent driver, so you can see it as 4 drivers on one pcb.

/Thomas

Apologies if my statement came off as dubious or sarcastic, that was not at all the intention! My understanding of electronics is rudimentary at best, electrons are enigmatic to me and still seem like magic sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by taggalucci View Post
    I don't understand why you might think that, this is the usual behaviour of the types of drivers we see here on PL. I have this very driver from Badpip and it works as described.
    Thanks for all your help!
    Mike

Any chance of a 1 or 2 channel driver in the works? Want to move away from the flexmod but usually don't need the extra channels.

I'm awaiting prototypes for a 2 channel, and hope to have them ready next month.

I'm not planning to do a 1 channel - there's plenty of those to choose from already.

/Thomas

I'm looking to drive a bank of 8x445's. I already have a few of the P3's, but would like to try these out. What are the major high points that set these apart from the flexmods? Also, if ordered today, any experience with shipping times to the U.S.

I'm moving away from the flexmods due to lack of beam suppression.

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    I'm looking to drive a bank of 8x445's. I already have a few of the P3's, but would like to try these out. What are the major high points that set these apart from the flexmods? Also, if ordered today, any experience with shipping times to the U.S.
    Most setups with flexmods will put the diodes either in series or parallel. As each diode will have different characteristics, this will never be the optimal way to get good modulation results.

The diodes will not turn on at the same time because of different threshold currents - with a separate driver for each diode, they can be adjusted to match, both in turn on time and max power output.

For an 8 banger this means 8 flexmods at 38 USD each (~30 euros), or two quad drivers at 60 euros each - half the price.

In addition you get beam suppression, originally intended to remove the blue glow from a 445 near threshold, but reds benefit from it too.

Shipping time to the US has so far been between 5-9 days (including weekends).

/Thomas

I am interested in one of these. I will be using it for a 445nM driven at about 600mA and a 638nM driven at about 700mA. Probably wont be ordering for at least a month, so would it be better to get the 2 channel one when you have got them in stock?

With the two channel one, if I wanted to double up my diodes I could right and still only use the two channels?

How do you set the current on this?