Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: red Diode build ?'s

Default red Diode build ?'s

I have always used reds in series, I have had issues trying to isolate them from the mount case. If I were to run them parallel do they need to be isolated? Do you end up with issues of case ground being different than diode -?

Tried some searches for red diode builds but didn't find what I was looking for.

Thanks

John
    leading in trailing technology

it all depends on the driver you use.

i run diodes in parallel with a resistor using a p3 driver. the driver is high sided so you dont need to isolate each diode. die4laser drivers arent high sided so you need to isolate each diode no matter what you do.

but what i do is isolate the diode block from the base, so you can touch the base without fear of killing all the diodes. i wouldnt want my red diodes in contact with the metal base, house and entire projector.
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Isn't your base plate grounded anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post

but what i do is isolate the diode block from the base, so you can touch the base without fear of killing all the diodes. i wouldnt want my red diodes in contact with the metal base, house and entire projector.

when its put in a projector and mounted on the base plate its grounded yes. i still dont want the diodes touching it, i want them isolated.
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

it all depends on the driver you use.

i run diodes in parallel with a resistor using a p3 driver. the driver is high sided so you dont need to isolate each diode. die4laser drivers arent high sided so you need to isolate each diode no matter what you do.

Do you use inserts or nylon screws, mica tape or what for isolation? I was looking at using that 6 mount you have listed for sale, for some reds but couldn;t figure out how to isolate it from the base. Ideas?

Using a P3 driver, I should be OK? I am just planning on cheap 660's so death wouldn;t be that bad on the bank account.

I have my 640's in axiz mounts, but would really like to change that if it can be done safely also.

if you plan to use that mount im selling then simply use heat sink pads for mounting on the base plate and you can get some little plastic screw inserts to isolate steel screws from the base of your red build.

when i get home from work i can link you to them on ebay. they are pennies

but you will ned to use a p3 driver for this setup
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

when its put in a projector and mounted on the base plate its grounded yes. i still dont want the diodes touching it, i want them isolated.
    I guess my point was if the cans are grounded through the driver then whats the point of isolating them from the base? I am not saying what your doing is wrong. I just want to know the theory behind it. Maybe I should be doing the same.

Quote Originally Posted by logsquared View Post
    I guess my point was if the cans are grounded through the driver then whats the point of isolating them from the base? I am not saying what your doing is wrong. I just want to know the theory behind it. Maybe I should be doing the same.
    Ground isn;t always ground. Ground pontentials can shift change or spike....

Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    Ground isn;t always ground. Ground pontentials can shift change or spike....
    Exactly why its normal practice to tie all grounds to a common low resistance point. Thus keeping all grounds at the same potential. I have always grounded my base plates. I guess I figured this was common practice.

Quote Originally Posted by logsquared View Post
    no idea sorry, im not an electrical person. its just how i roll
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat