Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SELEM Lumia

I'll be bringing one of those diffraction-grating projectors, but I don't have any velvet Elvis posters...

Adam

cool, it will be my first time seeing lumia in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by sugeek View Post
    That is what shower caps and rubber bands are for! Ask the HIE for extras.... I keep collecting them at every hotel stay just for my laser oh shit kit.

-Adam
    I am getting one or two of those "LASER OH SHIT KITS" great Idea dude!
    Thanks, I mean that!
    BEAMANN (GODSLIGHT SHOWS)

So I don't see what all the fuss is about this "SELEM" thingy now...I mean, no velvet Elvis has ever been there ? Well now it can't have been a good thing without a velvet Elvis.

Seriously, it sounds like you guys are going to have a great time. Just a bit too far for me to go to though.
    Just remember when its over to say to everyone there, "Thank-you. Thank-you very much" (In an Elvis voice of course.)

Quote Originally Posted by ShortyInCanada View Post
    So I don't see what all the fuss is about this "SELEM" thingy now...I mean, no velvet Elvis has ever been there ? Well now it can't have been a good thing without a velvet Elvis.

Seriously, it sounds like you guys are going to have a great time. Just a bit too far for me to go to though.
    Just remember when its over to say to everyone there, "Thank-you. Thank-you very much" (In an Elvis voice of course.)

Well because there will be MANY MANY lasers..
    and if we PL'ers love one thing.. it's lasers!

Quote Originally Posted by beamann View Post
    I am getting one or two of those "LASER OH SHIT KITS" great Idea dude!
    Thanks, I mean that!
    Buffo gave me a good tip on the alarms-- call the FD & Alarm Company the day before
    your 'event' and in your best official-sounding voice inform them the extensive 'testing' to the systems will be taking place several times over the weekend and to please ignore any alarms that go off(and give them yr cell# too)

We will be using that tip at STEXLEM II this fall-thnx adam!!! where and when TBA.

Something else you can do (if your venue manager is OK with it) is to disconnect the phone line from the fire alarm panel. We did this the first two years at SELEM. This way the building alarm will still sound (which is a good thing if there really is a fire) but the call doesn't go out to the monitoring company. Of course, someone with a cell phone still needs to dial 911 if the building really is on fire...

Some venue managers will even disable certain smoke detectors. (We do this at SELEM too, for the detectors in the Auditorium.) That goes a long way towards preventing false alarms. Careful use of the fog machines is also a good idea.

Still, even with all these measures in place, every year we always trip the fire alarm at least once or twice. (Usually because someone leaves a door open to the auditorium, allowing the fog to travel down the hall where the smoke detectors have not been switched off.)

Adam

yet we still set that mofo off every year...

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    someone leaves a door open to the auditorium
    could we hang some black-out curtains in the doorways? would keep the light out and the smoke in?

Hmmm... Good idea. We'd need a pretty long one though, because the doors are taller and wider than a standard house door. But I think a drape would probably work.

Then again, we'll have the curtains closed this time, so there won't be nearly as much fog on the main stage area, so it might not be an issue this year. (The big problem was people leaving the door to the backstage area open, which would suck fog from the auditorium down the hall.)

Adam