Page 47 of 62 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast

Thread: Planetarium Star Projectors

Quote Originally Posted by SpitzSTP View Post
    I am wondering, how to reuse the spent laser coolant water to irrigate the yard rather than run it down the drain which is a tremendous waste of precious desert commodity. Is the only solution to drill a hole in the side of the house, and punch a water line through, to keep the scorpions from getting in? Hmm, ponder.
    How about going closed-loop with the water cooling?

Excellent idea! But, a challenge remains in order to make that work with what I've got, which is this Electro-Impulse water-to-water heat exchanger unit which was used with the Chroma 5. I am (for now) using an HGM-8, which automatically shuts off the water flow the moment the unit is shut down. The Electro unit has a pretty big electric motor driving a Procon pump at fairly decent pressure, and I wonder how I can shut the HGM-8 off without causing damage to the heat exchanger pump. Ideally I would be using the Chroma 5 but that's another story. I assume that the water-to-water heat exchanger units obviously still produce "waste" water, just significantly fewer GPH ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails May18 038.jpg  

Laserscope 015.jpg  

Laserscope 016.jpg  

Laserscope 017.jpg  

Last edited by SpitzSTP; 09-24-2013 at 20:27.

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Chillers often have a pressure release valve across the pump. The valve has a spring loaded adjustable setpoint. If the laser shuts off the water, the valve opens. You put a small accumulator tank on the output to damp the shockwave when the valve closes. Its simples, and it may already be there. Without this, the pump motor stalls.

75% odds its already in the system. If not, the valves are not expensive.

My water to water exchanger has a five gallon tank. Yes, its saves a considerable amount of water, and it makes the laser more stable. Less fluctuations in the resonantor if the water is Konstant temperature.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by silentgloves View Post
    I read through this whole thread thinking "Damn, this dude is crazy." Then I came upon this and thought "...oooohhh."

Also, I find it slightly unsettling that you have poisonous, stinging lobsters running around your house.

Attachment 40036
    What projector is making those ribbons and what size are they?

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

that's an omniscan planetarium projector being driven by an argon laser. those ribbons stretched across the living room ceiling and will into the kitchen. omniscan projectors are designed to fill an entire planetarium dome with 360x180 degrees.

the rest of my photos from the series are here:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...artnerid=gplp0

Quote Originally Posted by Galvonaut View Post
    What projector is making those ribbons and what size are they?
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Thanks Swami. Will do some research on them.

As Swami says, that is coming from the AVI Omniscan. The graphics are from AVI. We are using an Argon head that runs on single-phase so we are not getting ALL of the possible colors through the AOM, but what is coming through, is spectacular. The image in the picture spans the entire ceiling of the house, maybe 12-15 feet long in every direction similar to what it once did under a dome. Some of these images go by so fast during the show that you don't really see them unless by camera after-the-fact. The image in the picture fills the ceiling and starts down the walls. The stars are from a Minolta/Viewlex planetarium projector.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HGM_AVI_Testing%20036.jpg  

May10 006.jpg  

May10 004_small.JPG  

Last edited by SpitzSTP; 09-25-2013 at 18:00.

Quote Originally Posted by SpitzSTP View Post
    As Swami says, that is coming from the AVI Omniscan. The graphics are from AVI. We are using an Argon head that runs on single-phase so we are not getting ALL of the possible colors through the AOM, but what is coming through, is spectacular. The image in the picture spans the entire ceiling of the house, maybe 12-15 feet long in every direction similar to what it once did under a dome. Some of these images go by so fast during the show that you don't really see them unless by camera after-the-fact. The image in the picture fills the ceiling and starts down the walls. The stars are from a Minolta/Viewlex planetarium projector.
    Thanks Spitz. Is there info in this thread on how the AVI bit works?

Keith

..... the reason I ask is that I am planning on setting up a mobile dome, both projection mapped (stacked projectors) and laser mapped projected graphics. I think the projectors are relatively easy to align and map but we aren't so sure how to get 360 degree laser action. We were thinking of aligning multiple lasers or maybe using a discoscan or dazler, although I have concerns about beam divergence.

Keith

Iirc it uses special magic seriously look at AVI website. It is a special scanning system meant for domes. I believe part of it is a fisheye type lens along with a bunch of effect. Look at the skylase that is there current product. Av-imagineering.com
    leading in trailing technology