Page 59 of 62 FirstFirst ... 495556575859606162 LastLast

Thread: Planetarium Star Projectors

Quote Originally Posted by SpitzSTP View Post
    Yes sir, I will be VERY grateful to display these card(s) with a small collection of paper items that I have from the period. Thanks very much this is very considerate of you and I cannot quite explain what this means to me, to have these particular things made of paper! If you do visit the Laser Fair folks at any point in the future, please do give them my regards and, can you ask if they still have any of the old Texas State Fair stuff, especially from the late 70's, and DO they have any plans to re-show it at ANY upcoming state fair venue? If they still have laser shows on the fairway, that will be a trip... and a road trip for sure, to anyone's state fair just to see that again!
    You got it, and for free.

Yes sir, I will be VERY grateful to display these card(s) with a small collection of paper items that I have from the period. Thanks very much this is very considerate of you and I cannot quite explain what this means to me, to have these particular things made of paper! If you do visit the Laser Fair folks at any point in the future, please do give them my regards and, can you ask if they still have any of the old Texas State Fair stuff, especially from the late 70's, and DO they have any plans to re-show it at ANY upcoming state fair venue? If they still have laser shows on the fairway, that will be a trip... and a road trip for sure, to anyone's state fair just to see that again!
    Don't forget to private message me your mailing address.

Quote Originally Posted by lasermaster1977 View Post
    Don't forget to private message me your mailing address.
    Thank you VERY much!! I have just the place for it and I will treasure this item among a growing collection of laser show artifacts from this era. I just dropped a letter to you on snail mail -- it has my street address on the envelope. If you meet up with the Laser Fair people out in Sterling anytime soon, can you please ask them for a schedule of events where they are doing the fairway shows? Anyone want to meet up and go, depending on date/location? I know where I AM going for summer vacation Looks like there is a show in town this weekend thanks Karl for letting me know, see you there http://laserspectacular.com/
    Last edited by SpitzSTP; 06-06-2017 at 16:49.

Thank you VERY much!! I have just the place for it and I will treasure this item among a growing collection of laser show artifacts from this era. I just dropped a letter to you on snail mail -- it has my street address on the envelope. If you meet up with the Laser Fair people out in Sterling anytime soon, can you please ask them for a schedule of events where they are doing the fairway shows? Anyone want to meet up and go, depending on date/location? I know where I AM going for summer vacation Looks like there is a show in town this weekend thanks Karl for letting me know, see you there http://laserspectacular.com/
    Yeah buddy, I'll stay in touch about Laser Fair.

We need some stars and lasers video.
    Last edited by acheter; 01-22-2018 at 11:46.

Hey guys. I have been lurking around this forum for some years. In my hometown, we have a science museum with a planetarium. This always was a huge attraction when I was a kid and I remember visiting the planetarium. The lights were dimmed and the Spitz A3P was raised from the floor with a hydraulic system projecting the star sky together with dramatic music. Amazing!
    Today I’m working in the space industry as an electrical engineer. A couple of years ago the planetarium decided to switch to fully digital and removed the old Spitz projector. I was lucky to finally get my hands on it  unfortunately it was in quite bad shape and lots of parts were missing. I’m restoring it now and I have the basic functionalities up and running. The control system was upgraded during 1990s to a PC based system and the old consoles were thrown away. Unfortunately this “new” control system was also thrown away before I got my hands on the projector so I’m building a very simple controller to just get some movement.

I recorded a short video of the projector this weekend:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KwDeGLBJ_k

Very nice. You will find the A3P a very capable projector and well worth the time to rebuild the control systems.

Nice catch! We have refurbished the Planetarium and the Spitz at the British Columbia Institute of Technology in Burnaby Canada.

After spending years working on, and with, the Zeiss Mark IV (now retired) at the MacMillan Planetarium, we came to this location and really like the option of using both analog and digital stars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGl1G2_jTFc

Planetariums are usually funded by philanthropists and governments, but we decided to use Rock and Roll to fund free science shows are happy to see that the public responce has been great.

Nice videos Mlin and Slide! I'm glad you are in the ranks keeping these wonderful machines running. I feel bad for the kids that will grow up never knowing the wonder of a big star projector rising out of the floor and filling the dome with sharp / high contrast stars. On second thought, these are the same kids that think DJs are musicians, so perhaps the joy would be lost on them anyway!

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

I find it interesting as I watch people of various age groups that come to my shows. The younger set invariably smile and often form the word "cool" on their lips. Teenagers keep their "cool" but keep their eyes fixed on the projector. Older folks tend to be the most vocal with lines like, "Oh yeah....this is going to be something". They and the youngsters have the most questions about the machine.

There is a very positive vibe that a star projector instills in the viewer. It stimulates their curiosity as well as their imagination and sets them up for a totally enjoyable experience.