Page 61 of 62 FirstFirst ... 51575859606162 LastLast

Thread: Planetarium Star Projectors

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Slide View Post
    Great story, thanks for the links. I occasionally visit friends in Phoenix , would love to see your project sometime.
    Absolutely, please send me a PM when the time gets close!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1020647.jpg  

Last edited by SpitzSTP; 11-25-2017 at 11:01.

Quote Originally Posted by SpitzSTP View Post
    This one is hand made by Yolanda herself, from what I am told by Omega staff, with half inch mirror tiles instead of the standard one inch tiles.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXA-bQj5n9Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olBk4GVmUZo
    Jeez, that woman is fast at making mirror balls! It took me nearly a week to add custom cut mirrors to this laser ball device.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	221.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	53224

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    Jeez, that woman is fast at making mirror balls! It took me nearly a week to add custom cut mirrors to this laser ball device.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	221.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	53224

-David
    OK I have to ask, what are those numerous protrusions on this thing? This is clearly no average mirror ball !!!

This classic Spitz 512 star projector passed the finish line in a Chicago planetarium yesterday after 40 years of service, being replaced with a digital media system. Control panels, circuit cards and cables were saved to support other 512's in Phoenix and the metal star trek console hulk will be recycled. The projector itself is being kept by the planetarium, for future display, which I applaud!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image-5.jpg  

Image (3).jpg  

Image-2.jpg  

Image-4 (4).jpg  

Image-7.jpg  

Image-6.jpg  

Image-8.jpg  

Image-9.jpg  

Image-11.jpg  

Image-12.jpg  

Image-14.jpg  

Image-16.jpg  

bw-theater2.jpg  

Last edited by SpitzSTP; 12-17-2017 at 10:47.

Quote Originally Posted by SpitzSTP View Post
    OK I have to ask, what are those numerous protrusions on this thing? This is clearly no average mirror ball !!!
    Those are just 5mw 650nm laser diodes, Spitz. It was originally just a black ball with these lasers in them (which replaced something similar that I had built based on a programmable STAMP module). I try to make most of my devices do double or triple duty so that the room is less cluttered. The 5mw lasers in it should be replaced with something a bit higher power in order to compete with the other lighting and lasers, but as they crowd scan, I'd have to adjust the colimation so that they were safe by the time they reached anyone's eyes.

I don't have a great video of it running, but this video at 2 minutes shows it in action:

P.S. I'm loving they planetarium projectors you are posting pictures of. If I only had the space . . .

These videos are one of the coolest things I have ever seen! I watched that one, then another, and another. What an incredible inspiration! I especially like the Apollo Saturn rocket launch, Lunar Lander spacecraft projected in mid space on the floating screen, and floating space men in the Depeche Mode show, I am simultaneously speechles and hopelessly stuck in the 80's with this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQLqXntfHUI
    Last edited by SpitzSTP; 11-21-2017 at 18:57.

Thanks, Spitz, that's really kind of you to say! I love the 80s as well. I try to update several of my ~50 light/laser shows every few years and it helps when I chose music that I've loved for 30 years as I'll probably still like it over the next X years. That one you linked has been improved since, but I haven't gotten around to re-recording the video.

-David

*** video removed Brief cameo appearance by Karl at 2:22
    Last edited by SpitzSTP; 12-24-2017 at 03:17.

Spacey man, spacey! Fun stuff! I wish I could do an accurat-ish star field . . without the need to have something large in the middle of the room.

-David

Just returned from custom fitting a 36 inch mirror ball (made by Yolanda at Omega Nationa) into a velvet-lined road case. In addition to custom orders, Armando's in Hesperia CA has an ocean cargo container full of "Bone Pile" road cases, brand new made for other clients that never fulfilled the purchase. Way in the back was this gem, fire engine red and 10 percent off for the rotator.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0507.JPG  

IMG_0511.jpg  

IMG_0513.JPG  

IMG_0514.JPG  

Last edited by SpitzSTP; 12-17-2017 at 16:29.