Page 2 of 62 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Planetarium Star Projectors

Hi Spitz!
    Awesome!
    The first time I ever saw an X-Y laser scanner was at a show in my high school planetarium. I am a devout space-case, and would absolutely love to have my own dome someday. I bet once you get a taste of some of swami's lumias you will be even happier you wandered to this site Also as said above, dsli_jon will amaze you with info about Laserium hardware & magic.
    Nice stuff & welcome! Anyone with a crane and coolant lines running through the living room is OK by me.
    -Mike

Hi Spitz,

As you can see there are some dome heads around. I grew up at Gates planetarium in Denver.
    About 10 years ago Gates went digital and rebuilt the entire wing. I was offered the dome and the Minolta if I could get it out. Unfortunately I didn't have the storage space or the money to remove the dome properly so it all went for scrap. I did get the Tesla coil though

A friend of mine still has the old original Spitz that has been converted into the 'vomit comet' we used to use it for lasershows.

You have a great collection!

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Quote Originally Posted by mikkojay View Post
    Hi Spitz!
    Awesome!
    The first time I ever saw an X-Y laser scanner was at a show in my high school planetarium. I am a devout space-case, and would absolutely love to have my own dome someday. I bet once you get a taste of some of swami's lumias you will be even happier you wandered to this site Also as said above, dsli_jon will amaze you with info about Laserium hardware & magic.
    Nice stuff & welcome! Anyone with a crane and coolant lines running through the living room is OK by me.
    -Mike
    Hey Mike, I am like a kid in a candy store in here. A friend of mine has been trying to get the permits to build a dome on his property in Cave Creek, AZ for a few years and is running up against alot of local opposition for erecting such a structure, not to mention the rediculous prices being charged simply for pouring a concrete foundation. He would have been better off getting permits to build a box structure making no mention of what it is for, and putting the dome inside of it. It would seem that actually having a dome may be firmly out of reach but there is nothing wrong with dreaming BIG , right ? At one point star projectors were firmly out of reach, with many of the ones I now have costing a quarter million dollars each, now nearly discarded for scrap. Often they just need a little TLC to get them running again. The Starscape projector is one that fascinates me as the prototype was originally built to train NASA astronauts and accurately simulates spacecraft pitch and yaw. Although this may place me at jeapordy of being a tad crazy I really would like to simulate the experience of leaving the planet and this may be the only way I can come close to that goal. Darken all the windows, get it pitch dark in here, fire up some stars and GO !! I am really looking forward to my time on this forum and I am truly thrilled to see the level of interest in what I am doing. Others I know, look at these machines and ask, "why do you have that in here" .. they just don't get it. The true magic only happens when it is too dark in here to even see the equipment. I somehow know, that you guys know what I am talking about
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1131.jpg  

" 15 characters"
    Last edited by Laser Wizardry; 11-13-2015 at 11:02.

Quote Originally Posted by SpitzSTP View Post
    " .. they just don't get it.... I somehow know, that you guys know what I am talking about
    Hehe... Well, if it's any consolation you're definately amongst friends (addicts ) here and we *completely* get what you're talking about!

Great to have you on board and I for one look forward to reading your posts and looking at the hundreds of photographs you're going to post... You will be posting more photo's won't you?

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

All I can say is WOW!! It's great you're able to help save all that stuff.

You have found the Promised Land of forums. Welcome to the PL

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

When you hook up the Chroma 5, if its a Omniscan with a fiber optic extension, be careful not to burn the fiber in the projector with the initial alignment. It needs to be done at near idle, a hundred mW or so. Also, expecting a Chroma 5 to be in cavity alignment after a 500 mile trip is a bit of a stretch, so you'll to probably walk the optics.

There is a non-linear element, aka Polychromatic Acousto-Optic Modulator in the beam path as well, for color selection. Karl just LOVES doing PCAOM alignment, so you have some decent help in town

One last warning, usually the SP power supply can source more far juice then the plasma tube needs, it is wise to find out what I(test) for the tube is and stay well below it.

Enjoy the laser.

Steve

Welcome Spitz,

Another interesting character on this site.

1) I been to the Saint, and I remember that projector... hazily, tho i must admit.

2) i have a few multi-channel audio amps you might like - pm me if ya need. or any of that stuff/info I'm one of many Audio guys here.

3) if you really get that space experience thing going, you'll make a ton of money franchising it out to tourist spots...

4) nice to meet ya! have you seen the new planetarium at NYC's Museum of Nat hist? just awesome,,,

Hey Karl, that would be really great to get laser shows in the AZ Science Center. I am all for it ! I believe the AVI to be a functional unit although the previous owner said it will need "new optics" and thought the cost would be in the range of 700-800 to replace them. I would love to see your equipment, and you're welcome here anytime. I would like to see the artform presented in such a way as to be a completely immersive experience. I few years ago I came across a Lexel 95, with the name "Lasermation" stenciled on the road cases. I got it from a guy in San Bernardino and he said he got it from a company in Phoenix .. perhaps you may know some of the history of this unit? Hopefully it will fire up although its been sitting for awhile. I will need to get the generator working first. So glad I have this forum to share this adventure, I have felt a bit as if stranded on an island up to this point.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lasermation.JPG  

Hi Jem, sure I got lots of photos if you guys are sure I won't be clogging up the board with them!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Impulse.JPG