Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Compact/alternative ILDA connectors - Thoughts

I have used Fischer (Swiss) on Mil projects. Expensive as hell but very uBer.

http://www.fischerconnectors.com/htm...-Numbering.htm
    This space for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Hirose
    every time someone uses a Hirose connector, god kills a kitten... seriously I hate Hirose connectors lol

37 pin solder cup DBs do exist, used to be quite common
    they still are common in the radio world... lots of pins and regular spacing so its a pretty rugged connector

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    every time someone uses a Hirose connector, god kills a kitten...
    Seriously? If I had known that I would have used a shit load more!!!
    This space for rent.

I think another reason the DB25 became pretty popular is because ADAT decks already used them for their audio I/O breakout cables. So you could hook up your ADAT system right to the projector with inexpensive and readily available printer cables.

ILDA never expected that diode lasers would become so insanely popular and that it's now not uncommon to run a show with half a dozen multi-watt projectors. So the cables weren't really designed for that, let alone specifically for on-the-road shows which get built up and torn down on a daily basis.

AMP CPC's look fairly attractive, but I would want to avoid the CPC 37-pin (which was originally meant for ILDA) for now, because it could mate with JDSU/ALC60x argon power supply remote connectors, possibly exposing the projector or the DAC to dangerous voltages.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

[quote/]
    AMP CPC's look fairly attractive, but I would want to avoid the CPC 37-pin (which was originally meant for ILDA) for now, because it could mate with JDSU/ALC60x argon power supply remote connectors, possibly exposing the projector or the DAC to dangerous voltages.[/QUOTE]

Trust me on this, it can't mate nor short with a Argon connector with big cathode pins. The military design really works to exclude such things, there are optional indexing tabs which prevent it. If you used the "reverse sex" versions with plastic filled in shells, even more so. You can also reverse the pin polarity, the pins are interchangable.

Steve

the problem with CPC connectors is they are stupid expensive... between the housing/connector/pins they are like $20/ea... so thats $40/connection vs a DB25 that costs <$1?

Trust me on this, it can't mate nor short with a Argon connector with big cathode pins. The military design really works to exclude such things, there are optional indexing tabs which prevent it. If you used the "reverse sex" versions with plastic filled in shells, even more so. You can also reverse the pin polarity, the pins are interchangable.

Steve
    I was talking about the remote connector, not the head cable. On my ILT supply the remote connector is hard-wired in the interlock loop, which runs off a 230VAC sub-circuit. Obviously I wouldn't want to expose any of my sensitive projector equipment to that, neither would I want to expose it to the tube voltage pins that may be present.